Spalted sycamore I think !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardroom

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a supply of various blanks last week and the first blank came out with this one, I think it's spalted sycamore.

image.jpg

Hi

Looks like spalted beech to me - one of my favourite woods, love the 'patterns' especially when the contrast is high between the dark and light wood.
In my experience sycamore does not go so dark, (black), - could be wrong though.

Regards Mick

Id go with Beech over Sycamore, the bowl shows a fair bit of grain and medullary rays in the unspalted section and is much more the colour of unspalted Beech than Sycamore, plus the Spalting pattern is more akin to that found in Beech, I find Sycamore to be much less well defined in the patterns.

Beech shows a clearer, more attractive black line pattern, at least, that has been my experience so far.

Here is a couple of examples:

Large_Spalted_Sycamore_Bowl-3.jpg

2Large_Spalted_Sycamore_Bowl.jpg

KimG":cxb92yo7 said:
Beech shows a clearer, more attractive black line pattern, at least, that has been my experience so far.

The black lines are known as zone lines and are demarkation lines between the different colonies of fungi as they advance through the timber. As far as I'm aware they are not dependant on the timber.

Whatever it is it looks blooming wonderfull thank you for showing it =D>
Regards
Bill

I looked at it again and now I am less sure about the Beech, the image lacks focus a little so it's hard to see the grain, it is very nice bowl, though.

Latest posts

Back