Spalted beech Vase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnErY

Established Member
Reaction score
Spalted beech vase not the shape or design I wanted to make it was my wife's choosing the shape reminds me of a torch I like the wood grain is nice but not keen on the shape finished in sanding sealer crystalline wax with a two coat of carnauba wax then burnished 14 inches high with 12 inch deep by 6 inches diameter made for her to put her crafted flowers in for her exhibition .
Regards
Bill

Attachments

• DSC00033.jpg
    DSC00033.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,374
It looks like a well turned and finished vase but have to agree with you on the shape. Sometimes you have to make what someone wants, not what you like LOL.

pete

Good working piece, does the job and no doubt its form will fit well with the final displays.

Surprised at your finishing comments, "crystalline wax with a two coat of Carnauba wax then burnished."

Would expect best results to be from burnishing the hardened sealer surface followed by buffed Carnauba or the harder and higher melting point Micro-crystalline wax.

Although Micro-crystalline wax is harder and higher melting point I would still expect Burnishing to remove it rather than improve the gloss.

The above of course may well be based on totally erroneous assumptions on my definition of Burnishing in the context of the finishes I use.
I see Burnishing as fine abrading (usually with a cream based abrasive) and polishing of a surface to remove or blend blemishes out.
I see Spreading and Enhancing the Gloss level of a Wax Polish as buffing.

CHJ":2p1xewnt said:
Good working piece, does the job and no doubt its form will fit well with the final displays.

Surprised at your finishing comments, "crystalline wax with a two coat of Carnauba wax then burnished."

Would expect best results to be from burnishing the hardened sealer surface followed by buffed Carnauba or the harder and higher melting point Micro-crystalline wax.

Although Micro-crystalline wax is harder and higher melting point I would still expect Burnishing to remove it rather than improve the gloss.

The above of course may well be based on totally erroneous assumptions on my definition of Burnishing in the context of the finishes I use.
I see Burnishing as fine abrading (usually with a cream based abrasive) and polishing of a surface to remove or blend blemishes out.
I see Spreading and Enhancing the Gloss level of a Wax Polish as buffing.
I see What your saying Chas And I thank you for your input being a new turner Its getting the right combination now I know after many comments where in going wrong this is why I come here to learn from experienced people like yourself whom are kind enough to direct us in the right path even when we think we are right, not like others I meet on different forums that are of their own opinion that beginners are the bottom rung and that's where they belong . again thank you all for comments and I shall learn from them and progress, another one off the lathe tomoz I hope
Kind Regards
Bill

Back