Spalted Beech Hollow form????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is another one of my home produced SB pieces,i think this is the best piece of spalting so far.As soon as i cut the end offthe log i could see it had got some nice spalting going on.
This is another attempt at an hollow form.The hole is 45mm wide,and the form is 8-1/2" wide by 6-1/4" wide. :D
Comments welcome :D

sbhf2.jpg

bbhf1.jpg

Wow, I think you've nailed it Paul. Well done, I love it.

Certainly some attractive spalting Paul, looks like the new tool is getting an airing.
Not sure about the home grown Puffball look myself, I'm more in tune with the more classical shapes, but it looks well finished.

Nice work Paul. I'll leave the experts on HF to pass any judgment needed as I am on the bottom of that slope myself. :lol: Are you finding them a bit addictive as well?

Pete

Hi Paul,

Bit saggy in the bottom ( bit like my missus ) - but its great apart from that.

Its quite big !!! 8 x 6 !! :shock:

Are you wet roughing these and then letting them dry before continuring ? - or are they turned from wet to finish ?

Thanks for the comments :D

Bodrighy wrote
Are you finding them a bit addictive as well?
Not addictive Pete,i have to be in the mood to do one,but i do get engrossed in them when i start.I think it's trying to get the form to look right.

Loz wrote
Are you wet roughing these and then letting them dry before continuring ? - or are they turned from wet to finish ?
I have had this Beech for two years now Loz,mainly left outside to do what it's gotta do.I fetched some logs inside to be cut up about six months ago,into blank size etc.
The wood does still feel wet in the middle when turned,so i am turning them reasonably thin and even i hope,then putting them into cardboard boxes or paper bags to dry out fully,weighing them every few days until they reach equilibrium :shock:
I have found this method to be the best i've tried so far without any splits yet.Tempting fate again :roll:

nice work , lovely bit of wood that.

did you use a munro tool ? sorry missed that bit

Thank you H.
Harlequin wrote
did you use a munro tool ? sorry missed that bit
No.
As Chas hinted at i used my new hollowing tool,the Woodcut Pro Forme deep hollowing tool.
I just could not get on with the Munro tool after many attempts at using it,which was why i liked using the Hollowing rig that i have,but after trying the Woodcut,and liking it,and using for the last two hollow forms,i have had no problems with it at all.

I have just bought a Hollow Forme and I cannot get it to cut at all. :?

Combination of setup and use I think. I will get my mentor to show me, it was him that recommended that tool.

Hi Paul

I thought I had seen this somewhere before.

Congratulations on the front cover pic on WOW. Good to see it.

well done

Paul.J":yntnsix3 said:
Thank you Mark :D
Pity it is just for a poor piccy though :roll: :D

Hi Paul,
Congratulations :lol:

A super hollow form, well deserving of its recognition!

And you think you have taken a poor photo - speak to the expert :wink:

Malc :lol:

Latest posts

Back