Sourcing timber in Scotland

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalimna

Established Member
Reaction score
Deanston, a stones throw from the Distillery
Greetings all,
Following on from several recent threads regarding the purchase of differing timber, I wanted to skew the answer a little further north than the usual replies.
There seems to be a fair number of quality timber merchants in the south(ish) of England, and even a few in the north. However, living just outside Stirling, most of these places are significantly further than 'just down the road' for me.
Are there any timber merchants in Scotland that anybody here knows of or can recommend? I am quite familiar with Burhouse nr Dunkeld (and have purchased quite a bit of both wood and tools from them), and can only compliment them on their service. Having said that, it would be nice to have something to compare them to.
So, can anyone suggest any other Scottish timber merchants that can supply timber sourced outwith Scotland (I live quite close to a couple of well stocked ASHS members)?

Thanks for any replies :)

Cheers,
Adam

JeanBurhouse2 in Dunkeld has a pretty good stock, but possibly quite expensive.
There are a couple of good suppliers in addition to Scottish Hardwoods up here in Aberdeenshire, but don't think they do mail-order.

I use "Out Of Wood" at Braco and "Falkirk Wood" at Shieldhill for solid timber hardwood purchases and "MGM Timber" in Falkirk for sheet products and general timbers.

They've all provided great service so far and can't help you enough. Both Out Of Wood and Falkirk Wood have cabinet makers as owners so if advice is needed they have the experience.

I looked about at the start of last year for suppliers around the Stirling area and couldn't find anyone who sold it all like they seem to have down south.

Ed.

Lanarkshire Hardwoods have always been good when I use them. They do a good stock of both dressed and sawn timber - all local as well.

Do you know about the Association of Scottish Hardwood Sawmillers? Members can only join if the majority of what they sell is local or Scottish (I can't remember how they define that). They have a website www.ashs.co.uk.

Cheers

Nick

Greetings all,
Thanks for all the replies - I popped along to Lanarkshire Hardwoods today and picked up a few planks of Scottish walnut (that doesnt seem to crop up too often!). As it happens, I do know (and have purchased a wee bit from) both Scottish Hardwoods at Oakley (just down the road from myself) and Falkirk Wood (5 minutes from one of the hospitals I work at), and again can only compliment the proprietors there.
I am familiar with the ASHS network (hence why I know about Scottish, Lanarkshire and Falkirk sawmills/suppliers), but was looking to source timber that doesnt grow in Scotland. Unfortunately, bubinga and padouk arent really suited to the temperate climate surrounding Alloa!

We seem to be well placed to acquire local timber here in Scotland, but when something is required outside of the typical 'elm/oak/ash/sycamore/yew/beech' range, then options are considerably more limited than those south of the border.

Again, thanks for the input so far,
Adam

Kalimna

Ooops - but it does look as if I wasn't the only one that didn't read your last paragraph properly; missed the bit about 'outwith Scotland'!!

OW

I know JeanBurhouse does stock non-native timbers - I'm not sure how much as I only spoke to them at a show but they're probably your best bet.

Hi Adam,
Braemount timber in edinburgh (Bottom of leith walk) keep a good range of native and exotic woods,and can normaaly get what they have'nt got in stock.
They have a new website but its also a good place to have a wander round.

www.braemounttimber.co.uk

Back