Sourcing thin stainless steel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twm.bwen

Reaction score
Hi there, I am trying to find a roll of stainless steel. It needs to be approx 12" wide, 0.005" gauge and about 5m long. I keep drawing blanks on google but it brought up this forum and if there is one thing I know, it's that the combined experience of actual people usually draws better results than a search engine.
Does anyone have any ideas where I can get it?
Thanks

Does it have to be 5m long? I use 2mx1mx0.5mm sheets of stainless at work and have a guillotine to cut it to width...

Thanks for e reply!

I have got nowhere with every company. it is all prohibitvley expensive.

Would 0.5 be able to roll and unroll without kinking? It is 4 x the thickness the company that makes the foldable flue I'm trying to copy uses.

2m would be perfect, I could even take 2 x2m as a friend wants to make one as well.
The trouble is I'm guessing it will still be too expensive!

What money did you have in mind?

twm.bwen":139g1ept said:
Thanks for e reply!

I have got nowhere with every company. it is all prohibitvley expensive.

Would 0.5 be able to roll and unroll without kinking? It is 4 x the thickness the company that makes the foldable flue I'm trying to copy uses.

Why not just buy it - I'd give good odds (although it's not 100% certain) you find that making your own doesn't save much money.

Companies buy in bulk, and have well worked out designs and production processes. This allows them
to add a (healthy?) profit margin, and still sell it for less than you can make it for.

Most of the time, anyway.

I've seen some "rustic", "artisanal", "primitive" chopping boards at craft fair I could undercut by a good amount. :wink:

BugBear

Back