sound reduction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speed

Established Member
Reaction score
so the nice lady indoors has granted permission for me to knock down my wood workshop and replace in brick with tiled roof

as i live in a residential area sound is my key issue to address,my initial plan was a 300mm cavity wall with 50mm kingspan but im open to suggestions??

single brick with a 100mm foam insulation followed by a 100mm studwall with more insulation between the studs then boarded in soundblock plasterboard be a better option

just at the planning stage and looking at options, any advice is gratful

Hi Speed I'm in a similar position at the moment I have a 21x8 ft wooden shed that runs easy to west in my garden but would like to pull it down and build a block shed south to north which is 9 meters and 4 meters wide, I know this size needs planing permission and building concent but not too sure the best way to help reduce sound! either timber stud and insulation or thermalite blocks ? I will be watching this thread with intrest. I'm leaning towards 89mm cls stud with king span or similar then plasterboard. I've erected many timber frame houses in 4x2! Cls before the regs required 6x2! Cls for insulation purposes and the manufacturers supplied the wool type insulation for the walls as opposed to kingspan and this seemed to work pretty well but not sure how it would fare with the noise of screaming machinary.

I built a double garage sized workshop in my back garden about 8 years ago. It is a single block outside rendered wall, with 75mm timber inside lined with 100mm insulation then clad inside in 15mm chipboard.
I run my Hammer planner thicknesser, bandsaw, tablesaw, dust extractor, lathe and various other power tools in there. I have neighbours directly to one side and directly behind my workshop, but have never had any complaints from any of the neighbours in those 8 years.

I imagine, more noise is detectable through the front of the electric roll up type garage door than there is through the walls or the upvc double glazed windows.

Back