sorry I bothered

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincs1963

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't been on this forum for quite some but found myself with half an hour to spare so thought I'd have a quick catch up. All was pretty much as ever until I came accross the pallet table thread. I was quite taken aback by the level of ridicule that piece attracted.
I don't care if it was made by chippendale or wensleydale if the maker was happy with it and other people like it then fine. I appreciate that we are all entitled to our own opinions but what has happened to polite criticism? That particular maker was virtually assassinated by certain members of this forum.
The world would be a boring place if we all had perfect taste and the skills to match like some of you obviously have.
Some of the pieces that are displayed on here are really very nice and some are just not to my taste, if you don't like something just a brief "no thanks, not for me " is plenty.
I await my turn to be digitally ganged up on, electronically beaten to a pulp and finally e assassinated.
Regards to all, Neil.

I didnt get involved in that, and apart from this one post, I'm not going to get involved in this either.
But there were defenders of that table, as well as detractors. and provided it doesnt sink to personal insults, i think all points of view should be aired.
Stick around, get on your high horse.... OH, just realised.... you already did.

I think we are a pretty tolerant bunch but you are welcome to an alternative opinion.
No one is twisting your arm.

Hi Neil,

I don't know the thread you are referring to, but as far as I am concerned any work submitted should be able to accept 'constructive critique' on their work. Having said that, I have seen some rather cruel remarks make occassionally, that I feel were over the top. Partiularly with any new mambers, we should be 'gentle' and 'gentlemanly' to all.

Now that puts me in the 'very old' category, so sorry if I offend anyone.

Malcolm

The general rule of thumb for moderating is that the line is drawn at personal insults. Criticising the work is perfectly acceptable, the person isn't.

Strong opinions, passion about subjects are no stranger to this forum but we do have to guard against personal abuse. In the case you refer to I don't believe the maker was a member of this forum so it's unlikely they saw the comments and it wasn't removed because it was actually the work that got attacked not the maker.

I did keep an eye on it because I get where you're coming from...but it remained on the right side of the line (just about) :)

Random Orbital Bob":39hxm4vs said:
it remained on the right side of the line (just about) :)

Agreed, but ...

The work commented on was posted on Facebook, which is primarily a way of sharing things with friends.

I'm an amateur musician, and occasionally post videos for friends to view because I like the song and want to share it with them. Maybe professional (or at least better) musicians discuss my video, pointing out the defects in my performance. I think they'd be entitled to do so, but perhaps rather unkind.

I'd say the context of the original posting is important (if I made a music video and publicised it as widely as possible then I'd be submitting it to the world, rather than my friends, and so open to any criticism anyone wants to make).

The original intent of that thread was to criticise the (apparently) widespread praise of this style of roughly made pallet-wood furniture, and I'd join in as not liking it. But from the perspective of the maker, it might have been a genuinely positive achievement, and I'm pleased that so many on the thread recognised that.

BTW, I've posted a few pictures here of musical instruments I've made and of which I'm proud. Feel free to criticise as hard as you like. But if I ever make a chair and post a picture, saying "My first chair, and it hasn't even fallen apart!" I'd prefer advice on where I went wrong and how to do better next time, rather than postings saying I shouldn't have bothered making it at all.

I have little doubt that if the maker read that post he/she would have been pretty deflated but equally they may also have been uplifted by the support they got for simply trying. It's a double edged sword publishing any of your work lets face it. It will illicit criticism and often positive feedback.

Personally I think if you publish your work (in any field) on the public internet (which definitely includes facebook in my view) then you need be prepared for a range of opinions, some of which will be disingenuous. If one's ego is so fragile they can't cope with the rough and tumble of the internet then my advice would be to refrain from publishing it given it's pretty inevitable something negative will pop out.

I'm not familiar with the thread but I do agree with some of the comments on here. If you post something to the world then you shouldn't naturally assume the reaction will be positive. However there are always ways of saying things and it would be nice if we all thought a little more about the human at the other end. Our electronic devices can turn us into digital keyboard warriors. I often think "would you have said that to the person face to face". A little tolerance, compassion, and empathy can go along way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was the thread that I think it was, i believe that the thread was posted by somebody saying "look how good this item is". Whilst the maker was (probably) not presenting it to the world, I believe that it was a commercial item, and the comment was not of the maker in any way, it was about the merits or otherwise of the design/aesthetics of the item that was being offered for sale. If somebody presents a case of "look at how good this is", they are likely to get different feedback to somebody saying "look, I started with pallets, and made this table". Had the latter been the case, I believe the feedback would have been different.

Back