Sorby Forum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh I see

Didn't bother following the link as I don't use a Pro Edge

Not just a Pro Edge forum though

Mick

I think Jeff was advised by Sorby to broaden the scope to all their tools but he set it up at my suggestion as a result of a conversation we had about Tormek versus Pro-edge in the context of turning tools. (That's why I'm the first member). He's something of a sharpening guru in the US (over 20 years in the industry). So while all the tools are represented....it's really a pro-edge forum first and foremost.

For some time I had been bemoaning the Tormeks weakness at shaping ie lots of steel removal. Particularly in the context of experimental grinds with gouges. Its fine for sharpening but rubbish for shaping. It was a solution to that which finally led me to the pro-edge, which absolutely excels at shaping AND sharpening. He and I were chewing the fat about that very difference and it seemed an obvious next step to start a forum since one didn't already exist for the PE. As a help to Jeff, I offered to post it's existence here to stimulate interest, which is now growing steadily.

I have no commercial interest by the way, just like Jeff and wanted to help.

Dalboy":75suf686 said:
And there is me thinking I had found a place for peace and quite :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes......my suspicions were first aroused that it was you on the Sorby forum when I read the name of the poster.........Dalboy :)

Did sort of give the game away didn't it.

there has been a real surge in membership in the last 48 hours. Getting good.

yeah...cool isn't it.

You wait...in a year it'll have 100's as word spreads and all sorts of little improvements and good suggestions will come from it. Much as they do here but obviously focused on the pro-edge. Sorby R&D will keep a watch and every now and then a fabulous idea will get born as someone improvises another jig and "boom" they will release a commercial version about 6 months later. Users are a fabulous input to R&D because they constantly destructively test the ideas in real life. Already, a consensus is building that the work holding platform could be a tad less in width without affecting anything and that it would be nice to accommodate the platform holding assembly far enough away from the elliptical grinding assembly to allow gouges to be ground without removing the table.

Jeff is a very competent and experienced facilitator of these sorts of discussions. It will grow into a valuable resource for both Sorby and customers I predict.

I agree, especially about the two improvements mentioned. Trouble is they will involve buying a new one ( which aint gonna happen )

Back