Something whimsical

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogggyTown

Established Member
Reaction score
Had some spare utili and zebrano laying around and it kinda turned into this.

2nhmjk4.jpg

(I know the numbers look crooked in the pic but that's the camera angle. Really!)

This is one project where I just let myself be driven by impulse and a Why not? attitude. I found out that working free-form is FUN! \:D/

I'm almost tempted to let this float on ebay and see what happens.

That's different and certainly creative. If you're going to put in on ebay witha view to getting a good price then I'd suggest making a few modifications - for the next one.

This is a modern looking piece, therefore you need a modern looking clock face and the one you have is a very old fashioned style. I'd also stick with one wood type to make it flow better and ensure that the upright flows more organically and seamlessly into the base. To my eye, that would be very nice

Ironballs":3kkns6fg said:
That's different and certainly creative. If you're going to put in on ebay witha view to getting a good price then I'd suggest making a few modifications - for the next one.

This is a modern looking piece, therefore you need a modern looking clock face and the one you have is a very old fashioned style. I'd also stick with one wood type to make it flow better and ensure that the upright flows more organically and seamlessly into the base. To my eye, that would be very nice

Points taken, Ironballs. I did try to source more "modern" clock faces but the arabic numerals looked like 17th century. If I could find an analog face with digital-looking numbers that would be great.

Don't agree about the wood, though. Maybe it doesn't show up too well in the pic but the "stripes" in the zebrano are almost the exact colour of the utili. I wanted the sense of a column holding another object but yet with the softened transition from stripes to solids.

I may give it another go with some white maple I have kicking around.

Probably does look better in the flesh, things often look odd on film. If the woods are a close match for colour then it will flow much better

I do like the idea but not keen on the end result tbh. I think the clock part would have looked better with the grain running the other way. Good fun working like this tho. Well done.

Latest posts

Back