something other then plugs/jewellery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandy

Established Member
Reaction score
just to break a cycle of over a year.

bar a couple bowls, all i have made with my lathe is jewellery, at somepoint last year i got two letter opener kits, and two bottle stop kits, put them away and forgot about them.

over the weekend i had to catch up with orders of PTFE and delrin jewellery, but after i was done, i got bored and remembered the kits.

pick out a bit of hornbeam i had sitting around, drilled a hole and got started, but ive learnt, trying to turn it between a 4 prong drive, and reloving centre, isnt so great, so i will be making a tapered "stick" that i can hold in a chuck, and centre, next time.

but yeah this is what i came out with, i think it was done with in 20mins, but it made a nice change from not having to make something the right size, and just think about the form

DSC01729.jpg

also made with just a roughing gouge and skew chisel

We'll have you turning bowls and hollow forms and goodness knows what else before long!
How's hornbeam to turn?
Looks nice.

Turning to exact dimensions is such a pain. I mush prefer works where i don't make mistakes, just design modifications!

Jonzjob":g9w55rmc said:
I have an Ian Wilkie light pull drive which I use for anything that's got an 'ole through it. It works a treat.. Just the jobbie for pens too and as I only intend doing a few it isn't worth my getting a mandrill.

Nice shape that Gandy!!

well i was looking at some of those light pull drives the other day, they could be the ideal thing. but i wouldnt have known you could use them for pens, that temps me a bit since i dont fancy paying for a mandrel and bushings etc if im only going to make a handful of pens.

food for thought

Back