Someone made a Victorian Repro 'Franklin Chair'.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trying to remember who made the reproduction Victorian/Georgian, Ben Franklin 'ladder-chair'...

I'd like to make one, but I can't find plans except for modern variants. Could the person get in touch please?

Thanks in Anticipation

John

marcros":1mphvpil said:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/victorian-chair-steps-t58381.html?hilit=Library%20chair

Thanks Marc. The drawings are a good start. So now I will have to save the link, just in case!
I need something for the workshop to use as step-up and a chair too. This fits the bill. A bit posh probably, but it's a nice exercise.

Cheers
John

John

If you want clearer scans of the Hasluck book I worked from I can provide them in a week or so when I get home. I strongly recommend making a full size drawing - I used lining paper for that.

Also look at the end of the thread for some recently spotted variants.

Thank you Andy. I am obliged.

Yes, I had thought about a full-scale drawing on a sheet of 3mm MDF or similar. That seems to be the easiest way to work out angles and dimensions of legs, and treads. I have some nice oak that is well-seasoned, so I think I might have found a use for it at last!

Thanks again, and I'll wait to hear from you ref the drawings to scale-up.

PS... I like the look of the example in the Bristol Central Library; not least because of its origins. And as said, I do have some oak! With a few mods, that could be a good starter for design. :D

Regards
John

AndyT":1pt6ww8r said:

Thanks for the trouble you took Andy.
I found a copy of the book you mentioned; ordered it, and was told yesterday it had been despatched. Today I get a message saying the seller had made a mistake, and the book was out of stock! Grrr!

Cheers.
John

Probably a bit late in the day now, but I made one of these chair/steps combinations, which I posted here: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/47287

I haven't read all the posts on this topic, so it may already have been mentioned that there are a couple of downloadable versions in the Sketchup 3D Warehouse - search for Library Chair/Stool.

You might also take note of my comments about using 'bar flap' hinges. They are an improvement on ordinary hinges as there are no pivots projecting above the top of the seat panel. However, they do require a lot of work to get the recesses for the third part of the hinge cut into the seat edges, especially as these edges are not at 90 degrees.

Thank you Don.

I have started the chair (The drawings at least.) and settled on a design similar to the one Andy used. Mine is going to be used in the shop, as these days I find the need to take five minute sit-downs more and more regularly. The step function should get me onto the top of my bench, from where I can reach my timber rack more easily! All in all a practical solution.

Andy... The book I ordered arrived today. But although it had the same/similar title, it wasn't the right book. Still, it's by Charles H. Hayward, and in good nick, so it will go in my collection.

It's been some time since I fitted bar-flap hinges, but I know a shop-fitter who might advise, if I get stuck; which is likely... :D

Thanks..

Cheers

John

DonJohnson":1b3d228s said:
Probably a bit late in the day now, but I made one of these chair/steps combinations, which I posted here: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/47287

I haven't read all the posts on this topic, so it may already have been mentioned that there are a couple of downloadable versions in the Sketchup 3D Warehouse - search for Library Chair/Stool.

You might also take note of my comments about using 'bar flap' hinges. They are an improvement on ordinary hinges as there are no pivots projecting above the top of the seat panel. However, they do require a lot of work to get the recesses for the third part of the hinge cut into the seat edges, especially as these edges are not at 90 degrees.

That's a nice idea about the bar flap hinges. It's too late for me to change my hinges, but I might just take them off and soften the ends with a file, in case anyone of a sensitive disposition sits down suddenly... :wink:

AndyT":1qyqv8sg said:
That's a nice idea about the bar flap hinges. It's too late for me to change my hinges, but I might just take them off and soften the ends with a file, in case anyone of a sensitive disposition sits down suddenly... :wink:

Well, obviously you've got to the bottom of the problem! (hammer)

I believe I saw a version somewhere on-line that used 'L' hinges on the ends of the seat pieces. Unless I dreamt it! I almost said 'cheek-pieces' then! :mrgreen:

But the Bar-flap hinges are a good mod, and I will give some thought to that. Thanks again chaps

John

Back