Some pre Toolbox/cabinet WIP questions ( veneering )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlb40

Established Member
Reaction score
I have decided to start a few projects that were on the back burner. First is a toolbox for my door hanging/ 2nd fix hand tools. 2nd will be a wall cabinet for my workshop.
I will be using my existing materials acquired free from jobs mainly :D
Both will be made from hardwood exterior ply. 12mm for the toolbox. 18mm for the cabinet. Both actually quite good with very very few voids. Both will be veneered with curly maple.

So the questions begin. Having never veneered before. :shock:

1 - Do i need a veneer saw or can i get away with just using a scalpel?

2 - Having seen a few veneering vids, most show veneering with mdf. They normally rough up the surface slightly - either sanding or with a toothing plane. Will the same apply to ply?

3 - Would it be better to veneer the panels first then size them? Or can i cut them to the correct size and fit the veneer oversize and plane/trim to the panel?

4 - I realise i need to veneer both sides of the panels. However most of this may well be taking place after work. So would it be safe to veneer one side of a panel one night, then the opposite side the next night? Or will that cause issues?

5 - Do i apply the lippings to the ply before or after veneering?

6 - How bloody heavy is a roll of veneer tape? Does it really justify between £8 - £12 postage on one roll? :shock: :lol:

TIA :)

carlb40":3vkieoba said:
I have decided to start a few projects that were on the back burner. First is a toolbox for my door hanging/ 2nd fix hand tools. 2nd will be a wall cabinet for my workshop.
Both will be made from hardwood exterior ply. 12mm for the toolbox. 18mm for the cabinet. Both actually quite good with very very few voids. Both will be veneered with curly maple.

Just use a scalpel

2 - Having seen a few veneering vids, most show veneering with mdf. They normally rough up the surface slightly - either sanding or with a toothing plane. Will the same apply to ply?

Just rough it up a little with some 80 grit paper

3 - Would it be better to veneer the panels first then size them? Or can i cut them to the correct size and fit the veneer oversize and plane/trim to the panel?

Either way will work

4 - I realise i need to veneer both sides of the panels. However most of this may well be taking place after work. So would it be safe to veneer one side of a panel one night, then the opposite side the next night? Or will that cause issues?

Always better to veneer both sides at the same time

I think it looks better if lippings are applied before vaneers

6 - How bloody heavy is a roll of veneer tape? Does it really justify between £8 - £12 postage on one roll? :shock: :lol:

Hell no ...... that's extortionate.

Sent from my AN10BG3 using Tapatalk 2

Carl. For cutting I use a lino cutter's knife (the type with a hooked blade) ground flat one side to hug a straight edge and bevelled the other and sharpened only at the tip.
I also use regular gummed brown paper tape available from stationers - cheap as chips and works perfectly.
Pete

paul saunders":2haof32c said:
carlb40":2haof32c said:

Just use a scalpel

Just rough it up a little with some 80 grit paper

Either way will work

Always better to veneer both sides at the same time

I think it looks better if lippings are applied before vaneers

Hell no ...... that's extortionate.

Sent from my AN10BG3 using Tapatalk 2
Thank you Paul :)

wellywood":2xvrsqaj said:
Carl. For cutting I use a lino cutter's knife (the type with a hooked blade) ground flat one side to hug a straight edge and bevelled the other and sharpened only at the tip.
I also use regular gummed brown paper tape available from stationers - cheap as chips and works perfectly.
Pete
Ahhh poop. Well i ordered the scalpel / blades via ebay last night. Plus i ordered the tape from Peter sefton last night along with a chisel to ease the postage costs.

I nearly bought some ordinary gum tape instead, can't remember why i didn't now. Would have saved me quite a bit of money. :oops:

Back