Some of my pieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CroppyBoy1798

Established Member
Reaction score
Howdy!

Just thought I'd share some pics of a few pieces I've made, I've been getting them together for a portfolio of sorts. Unfortunately I dont think i have many WIP pics of these pieces, I may have some for the airsoft gun stock, the mallet and the '98 carving knocking about somewhere.

user51294_pic2083_1233081609.jpg

Flintlock pistol stock - I bought this gun for my collection, I believe a number of the metal parts are original, but someone had, in the past, made a pretty crude, non regulation stock for it. So I made one up for it from walnut.

user51294_pic1752_1230829736.jpg

Airsoft gun stock - Just thought I'd try something a little different and made this stock out of ash. Unfortunately I never got around to completely finishing it as the gun broke, I never got it repaired and thus havent used it in a long time. Yes, before anyone says it, I know the leaves in the background are sycamore or maple? but they were the only techy looking leaves I could find! :D

user51294_pic1750_1230829601.jpg

Pine dresser - Made this a few years back. All hand made, at a rough count, from memory there are:

8 haunched M+T joints
8 mitred haunched M+T joints
12 mitred M+T joints
1 halfing joint
and misc other joints.

Tough going! :lol:

user51294_pic1749_1230829601.jpg

A 'Grandaughter' clock - Why's it called a grandaughter as opposed to a granfather, well, because it has no ding dong :p . This was a fairly simple project, made standard width off the shelf deal, a bit of skirting around the base, a bit of fancy penwork on the face, a stain and varnish and you have a nice clock!

user51294_pic1748_1230829601.jpg

'98 Carving - Like the ash stock I never got around to finishing this piece, but I shall do.........some day! :D . This lump of beech came from a tree from the local 1798 mass grave. The council were lopping off bows so I decided to get a few bits to have.

user51294_pic1751_1230829736.jpg

Honour and Glory Crowing Time - I believe I posted this one here already. This was carved from red oak, its a reproduction (thought not entirely correct) of the centrepiece of the oak panelling from the forward grand staircase, A deck of the Titanic (yes, I'm a bit of a Titanic nut, and even was before the movie! :p ). It measures 25 x 17" approx. I have a big model of the Titanic on the shelf in the workshop too, I must get some pics of it.

user51294_pic2032_1232480283.jpg

Oak candle holder - Ok, I'm not much of a turned but decided to give it a go anyway, with something simple. This piece of oak was once a steak from a garden fence that had been out in the elements for 12 years or so. When the fence was taken down I got the job of chopping all the timber up for burning and transporting to a relation for burning in a stove. A couple of years had passed when I was at my relations one day and spotted the nice looking oak blocks stacked in the stove timber pile, so I grabbed a couple! Had some interesting grain!

user51294_pic2034_1232480283.jpg

Carvers mallet - another turned piece, this time using beech and walnut, have yet to put this one into proper use, but it feels good in the hand.

user51294_pic2033_1232480283.jpg

Quick teak carving - This was a quick jobbie I did to get used to a new set of chisels I had got. Just done out of a teak offcut.

Hope you enjoyed the pics :)

Excellent selection of work;varied,and interestingly different - particularly like the carvings :D

Andrew

I hate guns, but love the sculptural ash gunstock.........it looks more like is is made out of playdo! Why the square end, though?

The various bits of carving really lift the other pieces as well. Very nice.

Mike

Mike Garnham":k6dlbvms said:
Why the square end, though?
I assume because it has to fit into the body for added support.

Great work there. I love the carving.

:shock: sweet mother of god thats some damn impressive pieces you have there...

About the only thing i've got thats that impressive is my manly gut :lol:

I especially like the '98 Carving very nice work, reminds me of the painting "The Scream", very captivating

Regards

Andy

Guys, many thanks for the nice comments, I appreciate it :)

As for the ash stock, well the reason for the rather blunt end was because I was planning on finishing it off with a contrasting piece of timber, walnut or ebony, and curving that to fit the shoulder. I was also going to finish off the end (where the bipod attaches) with a piece of similar wood.

As for the '98 carving, like I mentioned the piece of beech was from a tree from the local 'Croppy' graves, so there are/was about 400 or so bodies tangled up in the roots of this tree you could say and of course some of them, even in minute, microscopic amounts would have been drawn up into the tree over the past 200 years or so. So, I wanted to try and make a piece that captured the 'spirits' in the tree and the pain and suffering of those unknowns that lay beneath it. Not a peace about glorifying the conflict, but portraying the true emotions of those whom perished.

Am I making sence? :oops:

Back