Some of my 2015 Challenges and Churnings.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First four completed today via way of many diversions from shed projects elsewhere in the plot this month.

Ash and Yew as main components.
DSCN5040.JPG

Making them as Non-spill when the top is lifted adds considerably to the fiddling and sizing control needs.
DSCN5042.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5040.JPG
    DSCN5040.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,179
  • DSCN5042.JPG
    DSCN5042.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,179
Nice one Chas or four,I turned one about six weeks ago,and based the size of it on some cocktail sticks that I had in the house.All went well until I tried to buy some more sticks and could not find any small enough to fit they are all longer than the ones that I had in the house.I turned the holder from one piece and the dish was 15mm deep that stopped the sticks from slipping out and jamming ,now that I have seen yours I will have an other go and make them longer this time.

Peter

Nice one Chas or four,I turned one about six weeks ago,and based the size of it on some cocktail sticks that I had in the house.All went well until I tried to buy some more sticks and could not find any small enough to fit they are all longer than the ones that I had in the house.I turned the holder from one piece and the dish was 15mm deep that stopped the sticks from slipping out and jamming ,now that I have seen yours I will have an other go and make them longer this time.

Peter

beganasatree":mpjj1er0 said:
....based the size of it on some cocktail sticks that I had in the house.....
Length of cocktail sticks is a problem that is not obvious until a batch catches you out.
I have several thousand bought in bulk that won't work in these as they are too short and jamb in current design.

Future units are going to have to have a slight modification to accommodate the differing lengths that folks may procure, thinking about the problem though a change in internal design may possibly be easier to incorporate than gain the tool access necessary to modify current design.

Spent some time with these getting brain engaged to remember sequence I used last time to avoid unnecessary tool/jig changes, now have to forget the sequence and develop a different approach.

Still annoyed about the half dozen very dry beech blank tubes that have taken on a disgusting dirty hue since dried, suppose they could always be coloured with a dark stain but somehow they don't have the same appeal to me as natural wood finish and can't work up any enthusiasm to do anything other than dump them in the firewood bag.

CHJ":2x5jizj8 said:
Future units are going to have to have a slight modification to accommodate the differing lengths that folks may procure, thinking about the problem though a change in internal design may possibly be easier to incorporate than gain the tool access necessary to modify current design.

Just a thought, but would making the bottom third or even half of the "spindle" holding the base from a machine screw, with a nut under the base, allow you to shorten/lengthen the inner depth to fit whatever batch of cocktail sticks they happened to fill it with?

Or perhaps a hollow spindle, nut incorporated at the bottom of the wooden part, and one of the machine screws with a slotted head, threading up into the center/handle from under the base part - to allow you to shorten / lengthen the depth simply with a screwdriver underneath?

Seems to work in my head at least! :)

Lovely work as usual.

Nic

nicguthrie":1tiju4zu said:
...Just a thought, but would making the bottom third or even half of the "spindle" holding the base from a machine screw, with a nut under the base, allow you to shorten/lengthen the inner depth to fit whatever batch of cocktail sticks they happened to fill it with? ...
Theory is reasonable but the 'base/nut' as you call it can't be prevented from turning without considerable increase in complexity so there is no way to adjust.

The stick lengths themselves is not the problem, it's the current design internals of the bore, just needs a simple change in internal profile, just the 'how to' that needs sorting if ease and speed of turning/assembly is to be optimised.

There's currently six components, it's a case of increasing the count to seven or a change of work holding method and swapping one component for another.

Remember these:- (30mm dia.)
file.php

Here's a couple of them filled.
cheese & biscuits w.jpg
Kristien's pasta salad w.jpg
cheese & biscuits & pasta salad w.jpg

Not my work, all down to Linda's Skills

Attachments

• cheese & biscuits w.jpg
    cheese & biscuits w.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Kristien's pasta salad w.jpg
    Kristien's pasta salad w.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,039
  • cheese & biscuits & pasta salad w.jpg
    cheese & biscuits & pasta salad w.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,039
Good work on the bowls and fantastic work on the miniature food. That takes some dedication. I'm hungry now!

It's getting near that little gift time again:-

Oak,
DSCN5046.JPG
DSCN5047.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5046.JPG
    DSCN5046.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 977
  • DSCN5047.JPG
    DSCN5047.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 977
Some more great stuff Chas like the coasters. Going back to the tooth pick holders are the held in a dish which is put in from the bottom and hit a ridge to prevent it being pulled all the way out

Dalboy":2wpphhen said:
... Going back to the tooth pick holders are the held in a dish which is put in from the bottom and hit a ridge to prevent it being pulled all the way out
Basically yes, think more like inverted piston rather than dish, need good fit* else sticks can wedge down sides.

Make sure rough turned body and internal piston are well dried before final dimensioning.

Another grotty bit of hedgerow Beech (110mm dia.) salvaged:-
DSCN5048.JPG
DSCN5050.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5048.JPG
    DSCN5048.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 1,078
  • DSCN5050.JPG
    DSCN5050.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,078
Started some batch production to fill the 'little gifts' niche in the stocks.

Help with these and several others awaiting glue-up came in the form of a long term house guest by the name of Colwyn.

Walnut & Ash. pencil pots.
DSCN5051.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5051.JPG
    DSCN5051.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,050
The walnut and ash look lovely together - I may have to try gluing some together and seeing what I can make!

Ever had that query:- "Why on earth do you need all those Big Heavy Clamps"
DSCN5052.JPG
DSCN5053.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5052.JPG
    DSCN5052.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 1,010
  • DSCN5053.JPG
    DSCN5053.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 1,010
A few more to the collection:-

Walnut, Oak, Beech, Ash.