Some of my 2015 Challenges and Churnings.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ash & Mahogany, 100mm dia.
DSCN4837.JPG
DSCN4838.JPG

Simple little pot but almost two hours of agrovation learning a couple of facts, or should that be remembering/re-learning past experiences.

1. Open grained wood such as Ash can be a pig to present torn grain at the slightest inattention to tool presentation when trying to produce cross grain curves.
2. Not all abrasives are equal.

A little qualification on the last score, I have a whole load of sheet (woodworking) abrasive that's been around for 10 yrs+ neatly stored in a file case alongside a range of emery cloth etc.
Now this white coated paper backed abrasive cuts well but is a little sensitive on the strength front for lathe use and had been passed over for tougher products when I got into power sanding.
In the spirit of new years resolutions and a conscience that says some of this junk must go I gave some 120 grit a coating of looking at and an application to the pot, abrasion was fine although as expected paper baking prone to give up if care not taken.
Continued to finished off with my normal 180-240 stock and dusted it down for sealer, quick once over and no obvious scratches so slapped on the sealer to make sure no tool or scratch marks were visible before reverse mounting to complete base.

WHAT THE !!! open pored end grain regions show a distinct mottling of black bits, had not noted any mould spalting on the piece but it does occasionally rear it's head when you seal wood?

Investigation turned up the fact that the nice white coated abrasive is in fact black grit based and shed grit had found itself a nice comfy home nestled in the endgrain pores.

Fortunately they were not deeply embedded and a few seconds with a 'good' abrasive dislodged them and we were back to an Ash wood look rather than a Burnt Ash look.

Attachments

• DSCN4837.JPG
    DSCN4837.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,790
  • DSCN4838.JPG
    DSCN4838.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,790
One of the pleasures in life that I've missed most, with being away from the forum so long, is your segmented turnings and guides CHJ...

You're a great source of inspiration and aspiration for me. I just hope that one day I might be that good :)

I'd noticed that myself with Ash, and assumed it was just my rookie skills causing torn grain, You've no idea how happy you've made me that you can get it too! I avoid Ash for now, waiting for my skills to build first.

Thanks for the share, and once again, truly gorgeous work.

Nic.

Thanks for the 'gush' Nic. :oops: and the comments from others, left to my own devices these days and with no orders for plain turnings to fill I get as much satisfaction from sorting out a scrap recycling puzzle as the actual turning, even if it is as simple as the last two pieces.

Once every nook and cranny is filled with little dishes and small items turned out of oddments on the road to that plane where the turning becomes semi automatic and the tools are just tools rather than the guiding light I think some stimulus is needed to keep the interest going.

To the professional earning a living with the need for income and the desire to meet or aspire to a niche target are strong drivers, hopefully the former does not take the pleasure out of the latter for them.

For me as an aging individual the single minded almost one track hobby route that has become an obsession in some folks minds has provided me with a raison d'être to get up most days and move about the country with some purpose.

On the actual turning front, my tool control and finesse leave a lot to be desired, certainly a lot of my tool use and approach would raise the odd eyebrow of a professional or purist wood turner, let's just say "I do it My way" with a firm eye on tool use safety and an aim for the best final finish I can achieve.

Even on the latter score, anyone who has seen me finishing a piece will know how little respect I pay to much of the written word, to me an acceptable finish is that which matches and possibly enhances the wood character and satisfies the eye of the beholder.
I see no best method or must do process, just the quickest way to get the particular piece from finished form to signing the base, patience being a very limited commodity in my arsenal.

Haha, yeah I guess it did sound a bit of a "gush" but it was meant well.

I think there's a lot of us that particularly enjoy the WIP and details you include in these, even more than the lovely pics of the finished product.

I also deeply suspect that even amongst "pro" turners you'd probably find that, while nobody's looking on as an audience, they're likely not sticking to "textbook techniques" at all times ;)

Folks get a bit carried away with rules to set out exactly how things should be done. There's a lot of folks of the mindset that it needs to be down in black and white to know if it's right or wrong. The rest of us do what feels right and gets the job done :)

Thanks for continuing to share these.

Nic.

Really enjoyed the picture story of that piece! superb - makes me want to put the heating on in my workshop/garage and turn some wood.

Another odd bit of log sorted and out of the way without needing too much brain input.

Apple, 145mm dia.
DSCN4841.JPG
DSCN4842.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4841.JPG
    DSCN4841.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,700
  • DSCN4842.JPG
    DSCN4842.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,700
nicguthrie":3irctwh6 said:
I also deeply suspect that even amongst "pro" turners you'd probably find that, while nobody's looking on as an audience, they're likely not sticking to "textbook techniques" at all times ;)

Folks get a bit carried away with rules to set out exactly how things should be done. There's a lot of folks of the mindset that it needs to be down in black and white to know if it's right or wrong. The rest of us do what feels right and gets the job done :)

Nic.

As a professional my biggest problem is remembering to do thing properly when teaching or demonstrating as I got back into turning using a few tools and tatty wood doing things that shouldn't be done. Personally the only black and white rules are those that govern health and safety. Which tools etc to use are a matter of personal choice. As someone who initially learned to turn in school using old files (a big no-no) and who has an aversity to spending money if not necessary I still use a minimum of tools and as little abrasive as possible (it cost money LOL)

Chas is perhaps not being strictly honest as his tool control is spot on as is his attention to detail.

Pete

Chas,
Also my thanks for such a detailed process explanation; it just goes to show that planning ahead pays off (look at the success Noah had!)

Cheers
Dave

Just enough time this morning before the lunchtime telly football.
One of several small lumps of Yew that have been requested and were awaiting inclination and warmer shed time.

Yew, 175mm dia.
DSCN4843.JPG
DSCN4844.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4843.JPG
    DSCN4843.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,647
  • DSCN4844.JPG
    DSCN4844.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,647
Yew, 170mm dia.
DSCN4846.JPG
DSCN4845.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4846.JPG
    DSCN4846.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,612
  • DSCN4845.JPG
    DSCN4845.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,612
Yes Paul, turnings have been a little slow of late but I must get some of the requests out of the way before I tinker around with my own creations.
Must have done something in the shed this last couple of weeks, despite the output box not looking very full, as an enforced clear-up today saw two dustbin bags of shavings and fine dust emerging from the shed.

Yew 170mm dia.
DSCN4847.JPG
DSCN4848.JPG
DSCN4849.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4847.JPG
    DSCN4847.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,279
  • DSCN4848.JPG
    DSCN4848.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,279
  • DSCN4849.JPG
    DSCN4849.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,278
Lovely lines. I like the simplicity of it. Mind if I steal the shape for one of my own? ;)

Nic.

Feel free Nic, I've no claim to shape and I'm sure the wood won't care, purists might decry these pieces not having classic hemispherical form but they are to some extent governed by the need to maximise the stock for someone else and readily accepted at their destination.

Been following all your latest work and have enjoyed looking at them. The last one of yew stands out because of the grain, that is not to say the others are any less impressive as usual they are up to your high standard in turning and finish.
Why should all bowls be cereal bowl shaped it is nice to see other shapes.

Ash, 175mm dia.
DSCN4850.JPG
DSCN4851.JPG
DSCN4852.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4850.JPG
    DSCN4850.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,215
  • DSCN4851.JPG
    DSCN4851.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,215
  • DSCN4852.JPG
    DSCN4852.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,215
Another lump of home cured wood makes it out of the stock pile.

Ash, 170mm dia.
DSCN4853.JPG
DSCN4854.JPG
DSCN4855.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4853.JPG
    DSCN4853.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,165
  • DSCN4854.JPG
    DSCN4854.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1,165
  • DSCN4855.JPG