Some Fripperies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been finding inspiration in beer bottles! Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say on beer bottles :) .

His Lordship likes a tipple of Abbot Ale now and again, so I took the logo off a bottle and adapted it to a shadow portrait pattern, cutting it from oak scraps and mounting it onto a plywood backer. It should make a decent coaster for his glass next time he fancies a beer. Somehow, I think I'll be prompted to make a few more of these, so I've already started work adapting some Black Sheep brewery beer bottle labels. Since these coasters are just for our personal use, I doubt anyone will get upset about using the logos.

AbbotCoaster.jpg

It just goes to show - there are scroll saw patterns all around us and often we don't even notice :) .

It's getting to that time of year when scrollers start to plan for Christmas. I've already begun my usual quota of compound cut baubles but I have not applied any finish to them yet - I'll do them en masse when they are cut. This year's efforts are coming out of pine and oak offcuts.

Baubles.jpg

Gill

Hi Gill,

I've heard compound cuts mentioned elsewhere but don't really understand what it means. Could you explain please?

Thanks and regards
Sean

Hi Sean

Compound cuts are simply a method of cutting three dimensional objects. You start with a square block of wood and apply a pattern on adjacent sides. The simplest way to proceed then is to cut one side, rotate it through 90º, then tape and/or clamp the cut piece securely back in place so that it looks as if you have a whole block of wood again. Then you cut out the adjacent side so that the three dimensional object (and waste wood) fall out when you remove the tape/clamp.

It's a very enjoyable scroll saw technique. I've made all sorts of items this way, from whimsies to chess pieces. There are a couple of examples in this thread. If you are interested in having a go, I suggest you look out for books by Diana Thompson such as these:

Click me

Click me

Click me

Hope this helps :) .

Gill

Thanks for that Gill. I've been thinking that I should get some books and that really does look interesting. I googled Diana and her scrollsawinspirations website has more information including a couple of patterns.

Thanks again Gill

regards
Sean

Sean - after you asked about compound cutting I searched the forum to see what we had. I was surprised to find that there was scant information about basic technique, so I intend to put together a guide for beginners later this week.

Steve - thanks for the compliment about the coaster; I rather like the colour of the backing board and it sort of matches the bottle label, so yah boo sucks to you :p :wink: :) .

Latest posts

Back