some assembly help with Dewalt 720 please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerj

Reaction score
After receiving immediate help on the forum with a Tyme lathe query I have a problem with the Dewalt 720. I bought it 4 years ago from the estate of a deceased hobbyist so can't go there. The machine is assembled except for the table. I hope this is not the dumbest ever question but I have placed the obvious parts of the table and 4 nuts/bolts to fix the front larger section. The 4 narrower parts behind are loose. I guess there should be some way to clamp them tight. I have the extra board and two rails as in 97 and 98 in the image below but just can't see where they fit. Also I don't have items 92 to 95. Can anyone point me to an online assembly guide that might hekp me out...and perhaps I can see how important the missing bits are...Roger

Attachments

• dw720.jpg
    dw720.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 103
rogerj":olmii5gz said:
Also I don't have items 92 to 95.
That's the problem.
Theses are the two clamps that press the loose parts (77-80) together to form the fence and rear part of the table.

You'll either need to source some replacements or get hacking;
Maybe a pair of sash cramps could perform the same function or engineer replacement toggle clamps like this http://www.axminster.co.uk/toggle-clamp-type-c-810469 fitted on the rails instead.

Thanks for that Rhossydd I did wonder but the drawing is a bit too small to make it plain.
Does the pressure against the fence get applied via part 76 behind it ?
What part do the board 98 and the rails 97 play, Is the board 98 supposed to be bolted to 76?
Are there supposed to be two of the cramping screws or just the one.
Where do you get hold of the Dewalt clamping screw(s).... under the table...front ? sides .or rear.
Sorry, lots more questions..I'll go to the workshop tomorrow and study it more.
I will try and hack something but need to understand a bit more about the parts I do have..

rogerj":1bit4dcj said:
Does the pressure against the fence get applied via part 76 behind it ?
Yes
What part do the board 98 and the rails 97 play,
It's a sort of extension base to the left of the main baseboard. 97 bolts to 81. If I recall correctly 98 is full width across 76-81
Is the board 98 supposed to be bolted to 76?
No, see above.
Are there supposed to be two of the cramping screws or just the one.
Two assemblies (92-95)x2 that fit into slots at the end of 86&91 and press against 76 on the top surface of the bars.
Where do you get hold of the Dewalt clamping screw(s).... under the table...front ? sides .or rear.
76-81 fit onto 86&91, hence the clamps fit on the tops of these bars and are behind the fence and it's support &6&77

It'll all make sense if you can find a decent photo of it all assembled.
Sorry, I've changed the base of my DeWalt, so any photos might not be much help.

The key to accuracy of the saw is getting 86&91 fitted accurately. The manual describes how this is done, by rotating the motor unit through 90 degrees, without a blade fitted, and using the arbor as a reference. Easy enough if you have the instructions.

@ Rhossydd...Thanks for that patient and detailed reply. My main problem was in failing to realise that the parts 97,98 are just a side table extension and nothing to do with a way to clamp the table sections. I've been out to the freeziing workshop this morning and all is made clear. I see where the proper clamp device attaches at the ends of the bolt on side rails.
Thanks to misterfish for the link to the spares seller. I will follow that up in due course but first will find my way around all the control levers etc and see how it works - in case there are other missing parts.
Meantime I can see a free hack to get me started. There are two spare holes at the back left of the main frame 90. I'll drill a matching pair at the righthand side. Bolt downa piece of wood each side and make two pairs of fox wedges to bridge the gap. At the moment I can't see a problem with that...at least as a temporary measure..
Roger

The clamping system I mentioned above using with two pairs of wedges has worked fine and I'm able to use the machine for the first time. Now I have a lot to learn about the adjustments and controls.
Thanks again for your help..Roger

Good to hear it's all working. From the parts list posted above it looks like the replacements will be trivially cheap anyway.

RASs have a bit of fierce reputation, so be careful. Stick to cross cutting to start with as most accidents seem to involve ripping timber.

Latest posts

Back