• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Solid wood or veneer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you all had a good weekend. :)

Whilst wandering around the car-boot, I tend to keep my eyes open for cheap furniture, (made from boards). Quite often I am unable to tell if it is solid wood or veneered. :? ](*,)

Is there a way that I can tell the difference? :-k

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

ATB Gary.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
Best way is the look at the edge of the panels. You'll see i very slight glue line if veneered over lippings. Also look at the grain from the face to the edge as if it's solid this will run around but if veneered/lipped then you will have different grains. Also have a look to see if the panels are perfectly bookmatched, as with veneers but not so with solids.

Another way is to have a look inside the unit, under top panels etc. If it's veneered then you will see a backing veneer that may not make the face veneer. Or if it's solid then it's not always finished on concealed faces.

Hope this helps.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
LyNx.

You have been a big help. I suppose It's just common sense really, but when I am faced with something, all logic just goes out the window. I suppose I need to try and think a bit more, and give it more time.

Thanks for your help.

ATB Gary.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Any veneer "not normally visible" is often much poorer quality. Have a look at the top and bottom and see if they look identical.

Adam