Solid wood or veneer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you all had a good weekend. :)

Whilst wandering around the car-boot, I tend to keep my eyes open for cheap furniture, (made from boards). Quite often I am unable to tell if it is solid wood or veneered. :? ](*,)

Is there a way that I can tell the difference? :-k

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

ATB Gary.

Best way is the look at the edge of the panels. You'll see i very slight glue line if veneered over lippings. Also look at the grain from the face to the edge as if it's solid this will run around but if veneered/lipped then you will have different grains. Also have a look to see if the panels are perfectly bookmatched, as with veneers but not so with solids.

Another way is to have a look inside the unit, under top panels etc. If it's veneered then you will see a backing veneer that may not make the face veneer. Or if it's solid then it's not always finished on concealed faces.

Hope this helps.

LyNx.

You have been a big help. I suppose It's just common sense really, but when I am faced with something, all logic just goes out the window. I suppose I need to try and think a bit more, and give it more time.

Thanks for your help.

ATB Gary.

Any veneer "not normally visible" is often much poorer quality. Have a look at the top and bottom and see if they look identical.

Adam

Back