Solar panels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
This is not a moan just an observation. A house across the road has just had one side of their roof covered in solar panels. Their roof is directly opposite our living room window. When the panels were being installed I did not think about any impact on me, however when the sun is out at a certain time of the day I cannot look out of our window because of the glare from the panels. When there is no sun the panels look strange as the houses which are all bungalows are fairly old and they stand out, and to be honest look rubbish. Probabley would not be an issue high up on the roof of a house but being a bungalow they are at eye level to me as we are about 7 foot higher. But I understand that they feel they are essential even though they are both in their seventies, so I have to accept this is how it is.

But on the bright side you're getting a few mins passive heating each day?… okay small comfort… anyone else?

I am baffled, when submitting planning permission for a new building, you have to state what type of roof covering you will be using which must include what type of tiles, should your choice of tiles not match the surrounding area and look 'out of place' they will refuse planning permission, after which, these panels are installed, beggars belief.

Andy

andersonec":2c7gkifd said:
I am baffled, when submitting planning permission for a new building, you have to state what type of roof covering you will be using which must include what type of tiles, should your choice of tiles not match the surrounding area and look 'out of place' they will refuse planning permission, after which, these panels are installed, beggars belief.

Andy

Andy a very good point, makes planning totally confusing.

Exactly - 'Planning' is a total misnomer - in my experience, they just say 'No' then pause a moment and ask, 'Now, what was the question?'

I am yet to find a helpful council planning officer, though apparently they do exist.

We had one refused to allow us to take notes in an official meeting because, (and I kid you not), 'You might want to use the information in a future application' :?

On another occasion, we pointed out the neighbour had not used obscured top hung glazing to the side. They acknowledged this and agreed in writing that this was in breach of the planning conditions, yet would do nothing about it unless we brought a formal complaint!

It's a game with no hard and fast rules - and they own the ball - so just keep guessing...

Greg

I have ("had" is probably a more accurate term) a friend who was a planning officer. Probably still is, somewhere.
I finally lost patience with his stupidity when he recounted how they had demolished a bridge, because it was "in the way" of a development. The result was that people who used to use it now had to drive 21 miles around the valley.
"It might not have been the best decision ever", was as far as he was willing to condemn it.
I've not seen him for several years.
S

I can't stand them. Completely ruin a house.

solar-panel.jpg

I do try to be environmentally responsible, but I have to agree. So many installation do look ghastly. (As well as cocking a snook at the rest of us tax-payers, but that's another issue).
Fortunately, I think it is going to be a temporary problem. The time will come, and soon, I think, where the tiling itself will be energy-friendly. We won't have one roof on top of the other, we will have a decent-looking roof that collects energy.
At least, I certainly hope we will.
S

Steve Maskery":q3oz7imd said:
I do try to be environmentally responsible, but I have to agree. So many installation do look ghastly. (As well as cocking a snook at the rest of us tax-payers, but that's another issue).
Fortunately, I think it is going to be a temporary problem. The time will come, and soon, I think, where the tiling itself will be energy-friendly. We won't have one roof on top of the other, we will have a decent-looking roof that collects energy.
At least, I certainly hope we will.
S

I agree, both with the environmental responsibility and that the installations are ugly. I have solar panels, but do not see it as 'cocking a snook' (lovely phrase).

Tiles similar to those that you postulate do exist, but not in my price bracket, or I would have used them. (see http://www.solarcentury.co.uk/solar-hom ... nd-slates/).

newt":1rir1huj said:
But I understand that they feel they are essential even though they are both in their seventies, so I have to accept this is how it is.

I reckon this elderly couple were mis-sold solar panels. If they bought them, they are very unlikely to live long enough to profit from the reduced energy cost and in-feed tariff. If they have been persuaded to allow an energy company to "borrow" their roof in return for reduced energy costs then they have devalued their home quite considerably.

Richard

thomvic":24bw87mf said:
newt":24bw87mf said:
But I understand that they feel they are essential even though they are both in their seventies, so I have to accept this is how it is.

I reckon this elderly couple were mis-sold solar panels. If they bought them, they are very unlikely to live long enough to profit from the reduced energy cost and in-feed tariff. If they have been persuaded to allow an energy company to "borrow" their roof in return for reduced energy costs then they have devalued their home quite considerably.

Richard

That's exactly what I thought Richard, there was a salesman knocking on our doors recently and I suspect that's when the sale was made. They have no children and I would have perhaps had a word but I did not know until they were installing. If they are doing it as a green statement then fair enough, but recently I read in an electrical journal about the real cost to the environment of manufacturing PV panels, not good, but they would not be aware of that.

Back