Soggy Brick Shed (Not Hijacking the workshop thread)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_g_ster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Having used y sall workshop for around 7 years, never with any damp issue at all, it seems all this rain of late is finally causing me an issue.

Construction is:

- Single skin brick
- Proper uninsulated tile roof
- Very old concrete floor, yet seem not to let water through

Issue is that in recent months water is coming in through the walls, one wall is very exposed, and may be ticky to get behind it as goes into neighbours garden who may not be receptive of any remidial repointing, work on the wall.

An adjoining wall has a small shed next door, with a noticed a small gutter that drains onto the wall. That means its is making that wall damp too, even with the odd small puddle in the corner.

Its small, only two meter by 4.2m, so ideas to fix?

Thinking of applying internal render, and then literally tanking it with something.

Is heart breaking to see good wood with mould on it, as never happened before.

I have a step DOWN into the shed, no clear DPM other than one I laid on the front wall only. I have tested an area that is below ground level by two bricks with render on the inside, then bitumen paint, two layers.

Checked that section today, and feels wet. So noy sure it's penertrating damp still, or just condensed.

No heating in there, as don't want to make it worse with warm, moisture full air.

Good luck on the issue of the floor and dpm on the other thread.

You said
>>>>>Issue is that in recent months water is coming in through the walls, one wall is very exposed, and may be ticky to get behind it as goes into neighbours garden who may not be receptive of any remidial repointing, work on the wall.

An adjoining wall has a small shed next door, with a noticed a small gutter that drains onto the wall. That means its is making that wall damp too, even with the odd small puddle in the corner.<<<<<

I believe that you are permitted to venture onto your neighbours property to effect repairs to yours by law. Obviously using honey not vinegar in the chat. I belief in getting stuff fixed so its worth seeing them for a brief chat.

An external wall such as this might benefit from a cladding with either wood or plastic of course after letting it all dry out somewhat. I have heard that there are waterproof chemicals that can be painted on ( Thompsons ??) which will work for a few years before refreshing.

The adjoining shed is sort of similar...you could ask the neighbour to repair/replace/refit and maybe even agree to help them as it is to your advantage.

Your other walls I am uncertain about. 1) maker sure that all is clear at ground level and not soil or what have you covering the bottom of the wall. 2) Check to see if all gutters are working ( if gutters there) 3) Consider waterpproofing chemicals 4) Consider cladding externally.

Its a bit of a bummer really and hard to achieve whatever you do.

Al

the_g_ster":qg5cgr3n said:
An adjoining wall has a small shed next door, with a noticed a small gutter that drains onto the wall. That means its is making that wall damp too, even with the odd small puddle in the corner.

You would be surprised just how much water a gutter can discharge - my advise would be to fix that first and have it discharge elsewhere - even a waterbutt, with an overflow placed in a better location - will help considerably.

It's the cheapest fix option - try that 1st.

Cheers

Dibs

A couple of thick coats of sandex paint will also help against penetrating rain on the walls. May make you wall look nicer for your neighbour soi an incentive for them to give you access.

i think it has got to be outside i know it can be a pain but inside just won't be any use you to go to the point of enter ,
as others have said all kinds of ways to repair , chemical or clad render and move that rain water pipe!! and as said check ground levels outside ,if it is coming in below ground you put membrane in and concrete up to ground level or above .
all the best with next door.
pip

Latest posts

Back