Softwood (Pine/Redwood) Timber Supplies in Aberdeenshire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grahamar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to make a number of 4 panel clear pine doors to replace the existing ones in my house - which are falling apart (woodworm/rot/and general damage!).

I'd like to replicate the doors that I have, which have a wide middle/lock rail ( 9 inches) and a 7inch bottom rail, and 4 inch stiles - sorry for not being metric!!

I've had a look around in the usual "Shed" places for suitable timber - but no luck.

Does anyone in the forum know of a good timber merchant in the Aberdeenshire/Morayshire area that might meet my needs as per above.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Graham

Scottish Hardwoods up by Banff are widely recommended. There are a couple of other good hardwood suppliers in the Fyvie/Mintlaw area, but I don't think they stock pine. Lethenty Mill near Inverurie might be able to help - they are primarily joiners/furniture makers, but do sell timber or could point you to a good source. Otherwise, it might be worth contacting James Jones in Mosstodloch, or some of the sawmills that cut local timber. But this would not be seasoned, so you would need to do your own seasoning.
What sort of pine are you looking for? Quite a lot of the older doors are pitchpine, which is very difficult to get new, although there are some suppliers of reclaimed PP down in England. And there was someone advertising some big PP beams in Highland ScotAds a couple of weeks ago, if you fancy some heavy conversion work :D

Thanks for the quick reply & tips.

Re the type of timber.... I'm just looking for clear pine, minimal knots - pitch pine would be nice as the existing doors have that lovely aged yellow/orange/brown type colour - it's a pity that they are rotten through!, but it doesn't "have to be" pitch pine. However I'm not keen on knotty pine at all.

So I'd like to put the same/similar back -and have the satisfaction of knowing I made them - rather than shop bought.

Graham

Wonder if any of the local mills have any higher altitude Scots Pine? That would be really in keeping!
What about one of the roof truss makers (Scotframe?)? They might be helpful. There's a place towards Nairn that does timber frame and was selling off stuff back in the summer. I posted on here about it, but can't now find the post or the bit of paper with their ad on it :(

Morning Graham.

It's a long shot, but my local B&Q have started doing "Quality" redwod, it is considerably better than the special knotted and warped stuff usually found, but it's pretty much knot free.

As you wold expect, it's more than you would pay at a timber suppliers, but if you were really stuck, guess you could try it ? I was quite impressed with it.

Cheers

Jed

Thanks for the tip about B&Q and "Quality" redwoood. I didn't know that.

I'll take a look in the Super Size store they have in Aberdeen when I'm next down that way. The Elgin store although nearer, is not really that good in my view.

rgds

Graham

Back