SOF kayak in the works

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorgoz

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's what i'm working on at the moment, it's only the bare bones at the moment as i'm eagerly waiting the arrival of the SS arrow chisel type staples (from the UK, as it's ridiculously difficult to find them over here in Belgium).

It's a Tom Yost design, sea tour 15 exp. I altered the deck so it will be a cambered deck instead of a peaked one.

The wood is Western red ceder and the frame sections a bruynzeel hechthout okoume. The wrc was oiled with a stained tung flooring oil to even everything out and the frame sections finished with epoxy. Coaming is laminated ash finished with pure tung oil.

It will be skinned with 8 oz/sq y polyester fabric stapled to the gunwales and covered with a 3 mm x 20 mm sipo-mahogany strip. Everything will be varnished with epifanes oil varnish.

4526384836_6f392cc398.jpg

4526383586_f7ac95d0fd.jpg

4525753477_d939a82be1.jpg

4526384256_3b520c7771.jpg

4526384092_d3456a803e.jpg

Only 13kg? Wow! I suppose that's the cedar isn't it. Looks great, if your work so far is anything to go by then this should be a cracker

Ironballs":3rztrhv0 said:
Only 13kg? Wow! I suppose that's the cedar isn't it. Looks great, if your work so far is anything to go by then this should be a cracker

Well actually it's the type of construction that's really lightweight. Substituting wrc for say pine or fir won't add that much weight.

Very nice indeed. It will be a shame to cover up the frame with fabric... although it will, of course, make it useable!

I remember seeing a guy in America who built beautiful skiffs and covered them in heatshrink cling film type stuff, it was amazing beeing able to see the whole construction.

It's very easy to have a clear skin kayak, but there's some drawbacks. Less durable and it's like your sitting in a greenhouse and misting up inside.

SeaRiderVinyl1.jpg

Thanks fellows for the kind words.

The finish is marine varnish. Well the deck was first varnished, then varnished with an outside tinted varnish and then again some layers of marine varnish. Everything was rolled on with felt rollers and tipped of by a foam or bristle brush.

Very elegant.

I was going to say beautiful, but that adjective has already been used by people who got in before me.

Have you tested her yet?

I would be scared to take her out, but then I've always paddled plastic boats so the thought of something that breaks when you hit rocks is not comfortable. Perhaps I should learn to paddle with more care.

Back