Socket Chisel Handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeder1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is the first thing I've managed to make using my lathe which isn't a pen or I haven't ruined :(

I have three socket chisels and I told myself I was not stopping tonight until I had made handles for all of them them .... Only managed one but really happy with it. Its made from a piece of elm and is finished with BLO and then some liberon wax.

Again comments / criticisms / suggestions are all most welcome

2yxq5g3.jpg

351sj8m.jpg

4u839l.jpg

35d87jb.jpg

I'm going to turn the other two handles over the weekend. Also planning to turn some apples and pears .... will need to ask some questions on how to do certain things, but that can wait till tomorrow :)

Cheers
John

Looks good John :)

I turned a set from iroko for my LN socket chisels, so that if I want to give them some welly I can swap out the nice shiny cocobolo handles :lol:

It's strangely satisfying making your own tools.

You could make your own screwdriver too

DSCN0783.jpg

Or a mallet to use with your chisels

DSCN0564_01.jpg

Or a matching set of file handles

DSCN0094.jpg

Cheers, Paul (who needs to get out more :roll: :lol: )

The handle looks good speeder! You will find the next two a little bit easier :)

Paul, how did you do the screwdrivers? Are there kits that you can buy to do that? They look very nice :)

The top screwdriver is a genuine LN Adam, sells for a ridiculous price, don't know what possessed me to buy it really, maybe because it was nice and shiny with lovely figuring 8)

The others are made using screwdriver holders available from Axminster or elsewhere, and brass ferrules from Ashley Isles or elsewhere. Quite easy to do if you have a decent eye for the proportions/aesthetics and some nice pieces of wood to use. Top tip is to drill the block of wood first then turn, which ensures the hole remains central. Sizing the tenon for the ferrule needs to be done very carefully too, stopping frequently to check for a tight fit.

Sorry for the thread hijack John!

Cheers, Paul

Thanks for the comments guys,

Drilling the hole first I learnt the hard way Paul :( the first handle I tried to turn was for a chisel with a tang, turned the chisel, then tried drilling the hole after re-chucking the handle :( lesson learnt.

I have been very tempted to make a mallet, but I can just see the head flying off when trying to use it :( how do you make sure its properly attached? Is it just strong glue? Or do you drive wedges in at the top?

Don't worry about thread hijack, those are some beautiful tool handles you've made ..... now you've made me want to more :)

I have quite a lot of tang chisels without handles I got off eBay, where's the best place to get the ferrules, I've seen them on handles and styles and bates, but they both have massive delivery costs for something that cost 60p ...... I know you can use pipe, but I would like to get some proper ferrules if possible.

Cheers
John

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Are the holders just standard drill magnetic holders or are they specific kit's for making your own screwdrivers?

Sorry for taking over the topic :)

Ahhh that's pretty cool! Relatively cheap too so that's good :)

I'm assuming that you use some sort of epoxy to fix them into the handle, is that correct?

I just made sure the hole was a good tight fit, but you could also use epoxy if you wanted to be sure you could use on very tight screws without the bit holder twisting in the handle, although mine never have.

Cheers, Paul

Well The very First Thing I Made was firewood but There nuffin wrong with Those Handles Im as green As grass but Ill Be happy with Those well Done
Regards
Bill

Latest posts

Back