So what is a practical and liveable wage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a rough guide, before the collapse of my marriage, our household monthly outgoings averaged £1500 on a 3 bed semi. That included food etc., fibre optic broadband, two lots of car insurance and my van insurance (although I paid the van insurance in one lump up front). It doesn't include fuel or the 17 rescue rabbits' upkeep. Some months vet bills alone could be over £1000. My wife's salary was in the region of £28k + O/T and mine varied as I was contracting a lot - some months I could bring home £6k, others only £1k.

As it stands now, I'm living with my parents but I still have to find £650 each month to pay my Direct Debits before I can think about living.

SpinDoctor":1arh2pb1 said:
JustBen":1arh2pb1 said:
It's not as difficult as you seem to believe it to be,

We are careful with money, we don't drink

You lost me there.

I don't see what is so difficult to understand. I've met Ben, his better half and kids. I can see how he does it. He lives comfortably but doesn't go to the extremes. It's a shame more people aren't as frugal these days.

MMUK":33sl1fal said:
SpinDoctor":33sl1fal said:
JustBen":33sl1fal said:

We are careful with money, we don't drink

You lost me there.

I don't see what is so difficult to understand. I've met Ben, his better half and kids. I can see how he does it. He lives comfortably but doesn't go to the extremes. It's a shame more people aren't as frugal these days.

Sorry, it's the not drinking part. Not sure I'm ready for that.

JustBen":1v71ct09 said:

We are careful with money, we don't drink, we don't succumb to peer pressure and the need for the latest household/fashion item.
The cars are reliable, economical, cheap to run and insure.
The house is well insulated and efficient.
The children are 'cheap to run' and would much rather be out climbing trees/wrestling with each other than be sat glued to a tv/ipad/DS etc
The child allowances are saved.
We have almost no debts.

I also said i was not far off that figure, not at that figure.

Thats the secret!

Bod

Benchwayze":10qmzppu said:
Income £1.00 - Outgoings 99p. = happiness
Income £1.00 - Outgoings £1.01 = misery :wink:
Income £1 and your are up sh|t creek however you look at it.

Jacob":21qrvtbl said:
Benchwayze":21qrvtbl said:
Income £1.00 - Outgoings 99p. = happiness
Income £1.00 - Outgoings £1.01 = misery :wink:
Income £1 and your are up sh|t creek however you look at it.

=D>

I decimalised the quote from £.s.d Jacob. Are you not as well-read as I thought? :D

You also devalued it. It was £19 19s 6d as compared to £20 0s 6d.
It'll be "A Tale of One point zero Cities" next. :roll:

stat&wald@kbd (600 x 460).jpg

Attachments

• stat&wald@kbd (600 x 460).jpg
    stat&wald@kbd (600 x 460).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 439
Jacob":jyb74dud said:
You also devalued it. It was £19 19s 6d as compared to £20 0s 6d.
It'll be "A Tale of One point zero Cities" next. :roll:

Well Jacob, 2.5p didn't have quite the same pithy note to it. Besides which we don't use the 1/2 p anymore Do we?
And man... you would argue black's white I reckon... :roll:

I don't quite see the allusion... But if it amuses...

The fact is if you're living beyond your income you are in trouble. The only things you can do are seek a better job, or look at how you are spending your hard-earned. If you can't do either then vote for the other guy. (hammer) For what good it will do. (hammer)

Benchwayze":33njcbfz said:
The fact is if you're living beyond your income you are in trouble. The only things you can do are seek a better job, or look at how you are spending your hard-earned. If you can't do either then vote for the other guy. (hammer) For what good it will do. (hammer)

As it happens I'm in complete agreement; one of my oppo's at work is always in debt and complaining of having no money while turning up to work in new stretchy cycling gear. He earns the same as me which is a very good wage for the area, but his wife would rather spend all morning in bed and the afternoons watching Jezzer. As I've pointed out to him on several occasions if she got a part time job they would instantly go from having just enough to having some spare cash. But it's all a waste of time, he will be/feel skint all his life because he can't just accept that getting out of a [self dug] hole requires a bit of hardship along the way, but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. FWIW my better half works, we don't have debts, and as a result can now afford treats like extra holidays etc.

Re. Statler and Waldorf, once Jacob's spring is wound, a thread usually turns into an 'entertainment' of little relevance to the OP, and I am always put in mind of two grumpy old men arguing about nothing in particular. No real offence intended.

NP Mike. I don't like to spar with anyone, or maliciously wind up springs! :? I just felt I was entitled to post a 'paraphrase' on an old quote, without being questioned on my Maths! :roll: After all it was pertinent to the thread!
For anyone who is too young (you lucky beggars) to remember £.s.d, 19/6d (19 shillings and 6 pence), is sixpence short of a pound sterling. Equal to 97.5p

Cheers

John

Benchwayze":1mnyx36c said:
For anyone who is too young (you lucky beggars) to remember £.s.d, 19/6d (19 shillings and 6 pence), is sixpence short of a pound sterling. Equal to 97.5p

Cheers

John

I'm OK. I earn one guniea (21/-) and my outgoings are £1,0s,11d :wink:

You do realise that the Guinea was once worth 25/- and it has fluctuated over the years. :D Seems to have been stuck at 21/- for a couple of centuries or so.

Although I have just about gotten used to Decimalised Munnie!

Benchwayze":blgqy5zd said:
You do realise that the Guinea was once worth 25/- and it has fluctuated over the years. :D Seems to have been stuck at 21/- for a couple of centuries or so.

It has actually hit as much as 30/- in value several times during the 18th/c due to gold and silver prices going up. It was "fixed" at 21/- in, IIRC, 1816 :mrgreen:

MMUK":355pjioa said:
Benchwayze":355pjioa said:

It has actually hit as much as 30/- in value several times during the 18th/c due to gold and silver prices going up. It was "fixed" at 21/- in, IIRC, 1816 :mrgreen:

Call me a liar for the sake of minus 2 years! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was going to google it, but I watched telly instead. :shock:
Cheers Steve.

John

Back