Snooker cue finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonOwen

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok heres a challenge for you guys..

I am making a Snooker cue, ash shaft with a rosewood butt.

There are 2 parts to this
1. How do I get the enhardnced grain fifnish on the ash?
Im so far thinking along the lines of mixing ebony dust with a grain filler. Now would I want to use an oil based or water based grain filler?

2. What final finsih can I use.
Baring in mind it must be very tactile and smooth, not get sticky with sweaty hands especially on the ash shaft.
Im so far thinking about grain filler, loads of very fine sanding, then linseed oil, sand, oil again, then maybe some sort of silicon spray?? Just not sure if the Linseed oil will give me a nice sheen finish?
Bees Wax has been pretty much disregarded as possibly too sticky?
Shellac has been mentioned to me but havent a clue how to use this?

Really appreciate any help here and more than willing to experiment.

1 The enhanced look you refer to comes with age and use
2 The butt part is best finished with a 2 pack lacquer flattened down between coats and finally after at least 4 coats flattened and then burnished
Now the top section does nt want to be shiny due to reflection from the light above the table to achieve the used look that you are after, a light first coat rubbed down and the dust wiped off,then (if you can spray) go over it with a spirit patina (I reccomend Walnut) it drys instantly and appears like a dust wipe this off with a clean rag or tissue leaving it in the grain and give a final coat after drying cut it back with OOOO Trollul to give a nice satin smooth finish :wink:

The enharnced look isnt an age thing, Im after the grain enharncement, where the grain is filled with black.

JasonOwen":1b2ufqgc said:
The enharnced look isnt an age thing, Im after the grain enharncement, where the grain is filled with black.
Believe me it is, through being continually moved over the bridge made with your hand :wink: Look at new cues and this enhancement you mention goes right up to the ferrule where as old cues would be discoloured on the fore where it moved in the cueing action.

Ok, so tell me more about the laquer approach?
What make do I need to buy?
I have got spraying facilities im afraid :(
What sort of finish will this give me?

JasonOwen":fs5k1nhq said:
Ok, so tell me more about the laquer approach?
What make do I need to buy?
I have got spraying facilities im afraid :(
What sort of finish will this give me?

Oh sorry I take it that you have nt actually done a cue yet then? But you tell me about the enhanced finish.
I have done cues, snooker tables, roller scoreboards and cue stands going back to the early 60's when all cues were one piece either maple or hickory spliced with rosewood and ebony
My preference would be Morrell's a/c 5**3/440(the ** denote sheen% level)its a 10:1 mix it can be sprayed or brush finished coat on coat so no need for a basecoat, recoatable after an hour but the longer between coats the better the finish will better, as I said a minimum of 4 coats flattened in between with 240 to start with after the first and second coat and then newspaper from there on.
the 2** in the code are sheen levels from 10%(5103)semi matt up to 90%gloss(5903) and so on if you want to go further after the final coat T-CUT or BRASSO will give a nice deep finish to the butt

Ha ha ok ok, Im listening now.
Sounds good, not a technique ive come across so may be the one im looking for.
Will give it a go :)
Thanks for the help

Ah thats the stuf, brilliant find. Thank you.
No lathes involved, just me, a jig and a jack plane.
Appreciate the help

I re-finished my cue about a year ago, I used a Dark Oak staining beeswax finish to get the grain to really stand out, then a couple of coats of Danish Oil (I also sanded the last foot or so of the tip with 400 grit to avoid sticking but that's just personal preference)

Anthony

Hi,

I have seen a video of hand made cues whaer they covered the whole cue in thick black paint and sanded it down when it was dry. It looked a shocking thing to do but they said that was the way they filled the grain.

I can't remember where I saw it and can't find it on the web.

Pete

Racers":2mjz1v7r said:
Hi,

I have seen a video of hand made cues whaer they covered the whole cue in thick black paint and sanded it down when it was dry. It looked a shocking thing to do but they said that was the way they filled the grain.

Pete
The spirit Patina that I reccomended completely covers the cue and is then wiped off leaving the patina in the depth of the grain

Someone has recommended Osmo Hard wax oil, anyone used this? Its for flooring I think. Would it give me a good shineu smooth non sticky finish on ash?

yellowbelly":2y4dp5en said:
Racers":2y4dp5en said:
Hi,

Pete
The spirit Patina that I reccomended completely covers the cue and is then wiped off leaving the patina in the depth of the grain

Hay yellowbelly, what exactly is spirit Patina?

Spirit Patina is a meths based spirit (obviously) in which spirit based stains(powder) is dissolved to the desired colour its sprayed on to the piece(drying almost instantly like a powder)after first sealing and can be either wiped off with a dry cloth or a dry colour mop across the grain leaving the patina in the grain and coated over with the finishing coat

Latest posts

Back