Smoke in the Shop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simoli

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is the scene: I'm working in my basement shop, bare footed, getting ready to cut some joiner slots. Since my Porter Cable joiner makes slots for mini biscuits, I decided to biscuit my new window molding. I put the small blade in the machine and go at it. As I start to cut my first slot my joiner starts to smake really badly. I figured that I'd killed it and now I have to beg for permission to buy another one. Then I came to realize that I installed the blade backwards, which caused the teeth to rub against the wood instead of cut it. ](*,) Boy was I relieved. Now no begging.

Simoli":2myztj0n said:
Then I came to realize that I installed the blade backwards, which caused the teeth to rub against the wood instead of cut it. ](*,)

Over here we call those "senior moments". No need to get too worried until you can't remember why you went into the workshop in the first place :?

Paul

Paul Chapman":3lqyj9t5 said:
Simoli":3lqyj9t5 said:
Then I came to realize that I installed the blade backwards, which caused the teeth to rub against the wood instead of cut it. ](*,)

Over here we call those "senior moments". No need to get too worried until you can't remember why you went into the workshop in the first place :?

Paul

But what if Jim is only 23? :shock: :roll: :wink:

Now just why did I come in from the workshop? :whistle:

DaveL":3087ge2s said:
Paul Chapman":3087ge2s said:
Simoli":3087ge2s said:

Paul

But what if Jim is only 23? :shock: :roll: :wink:

Now just why did I come in from the workshop? :whistle:

My son is 30. The other day he opened a packet of bacon, threw the bacon in the waste bin and put the plastic packaging under the grill. He then said: "Blimey, Dad, I'm getting like you." :? :? :? :?

Paul

Paul Chapman":1dmdua1f said:
My son is 30. The other day he opened a packet of bacon, threw the bacon in the waste bin and put the plastic packaging under the grill. He then said: "Blimey, Dad, I'm getting like you." :? :? :? :?

Paul

Think yourself lucky - my son is 16,hasn't discovered where the grill (or cooker,toaster,microwave) is yet :(

Guess it'll be my turn to do tea again tonight as well..

Andrew

Normally SWMBO buys sliced brown bread but recently she started making her own. Son, age 24 comes to visit and surfaces late, cuts 1" thick slabs and forces them into the toaster and then goes off to surf the net whilst it browns. I'm in the study with the door closed, but I know when the toast is done when the smoke alarm upstairs goes off. Opening the door I can't even see the kitchen let alone the toaster! And this is a guy with 1st class hons in engineering from Cambridge! Brilliant at sorting out my IT problems but he still needs his dad to sort out his bike! Kids - who would have them!

Senior moment may just apply. I even recall thinking to myself before I put the blade in that I have to be sure to install it correctly. The base of the joiner even has a little picture for orientation.

At 40 years old I do see these type of moments comming at a faster rate.

Paul Chapman wrote:

My son is 30. The other day he opened a packet of bacon, threw the bacon in the waste bin and put the plastic packaging under the grill. He then said: "Blimey, Dad, I'm getting like you."

I was at a my dads 2nd wedding (wasn't at his first one :lol:) many years ago and the owner of the particular house where the reception was held said he fancied a brew and did anyone else want one? My brother and I said we wouldn't mind so we went into the kitchen whereupon this guy filled a very expensive electric Russell Hobbs kettle with water and proceeded to put in on the cooker.......my brother and I watched dumbfounded as he lit the gas :shock: :shock: :shock: We both could not believe what we had just seen - Rob

Gotta watch mum with cutting boards. First one(plastic) went into the hot oven after she put a very hot pan on it and it stuck to the bottom when she put the pan back in the oven. The next one was wood( now you're thinking Mum). One day while looking for some spare counter space for the cutting board, she put it ontop of the stove. Stove was still on. I might just buy her a slab of granite. :D

My Mum was trying to turn off her old freezer to defrost it, but couldn't reach the socket switch at the back... so she tried to 'flick' the switch up with a bread knife :roll: Needless to say she reached in too far and flicked the knife under the plug where it shorted the live and neutral pins and fused knife, plug and socket together before the fuse blew.

Luckily she hadn't been touching the two shiny metal rivets holding the wooden handle to the blade :shock:

Julian

JPEC":12a0dxq8 said:
she reached in too far and flicked the knife under the plug where it shorted the live and neutral pins and fused knife, plug and socket together before the fuse blew.

Julian

Ahh! That reminds me of the fun we used to have at school in the 1960's wrapping silver foil between the terminals of a plug, pushing it into the socket and then switching on the power. The winner was the one whose flash created the longest sooty streak up the wall without making all the lights go out!

The scary thing was, when I later had to replace socket etc. and told her how stupid she had been and it was fairly obvious what could happen, she said," Oh, I never though it might be dangerous" :roll:

Julian

Latest posts

Back