Small workbench moves too much,does a vacuum solution exist?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ali27

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I am using a black and decker workmate. When I plane something and the thickness
is increased the whole workbench moves. I can put my leg on it to prevent it, but it's not
something I like to do.

I was wondering whether there are any solutions for this. Like a vacuum base type of thing
one can attach to the legs and then ''clamp'' it tight to the floor? Would be an easy solution
for me.

Sure getting a real workbench would solve it as well, but I don't have any real space.

Thanks.

Ali

Could you screw some stops to the floor to prevent the bench moving when under sideways loading?

Hi

Clamp a batten to the top of the workmate and place the other end against a wall, or other immovable object, then plane towards the wall.

This solves the issue of the workmate racking as well as lifting.

Regards Mick

I have a thick (2 1/2") board clamp by the Workmate on top and I clamp a piece of thin (1/8") piece at 90 to that as a stop

On the bottom, for ballast, I have my car/bike toolbox nearest to me but a bag or 2 of sand will do the same trick

Workmate(2).jpg

Attachments

• Workmate(2).jpg
    Workmate(2).jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 1,069
Good tips guys.

What about suction cups placed under the legs? Surely that would help?

Ali

ali27":928worpn said:
Good tips guys.

Ali

I've never had luck using suction cups to hold anything in the woodshop. But go ahead- try it. Let us know how it works out.

ali27":lyhdxs5y said:
Good tips guys.
Ali
I would imagine rubber suction cups themselves would introduce a degree of flex plus they'll only be able to create a strong enough vacuum hold on a glass smooth surface.

The Workmate is not designed for planning. Stop mucking about and build a bench!

It does not have to be large. It does not have to take up space if you have a handy wall ...

Hinge a panel to a wall, and fold it down onto legs. The connection to the wall will keep it extremely stable. Fold it out of the way when done.

Regards from Perth

Derek

bridger":2vs9ex64 said:
ali27":2vs9ex64 said:
Good tips guys.

Ali

I've never had luck using suction cups to hold anything in the woodshop. But go ahead- try it. Let us know how it works out.

I once used a kitchen hand mincer that was supposed to vacuum itself to the table. It was complete rubbish.

BugBear

The workmate itself is so loosely made that it will wobble about like a jelly, so why waste time with trying to fix it. Just because you don't have much space doesn't mean you cant make a solid workbench. Even if its the same size as the workmate, you can still make a firmer bench.

Attachments

• $.T1070P-complete-400pxP.jpg
    $.T1070P-complete-400pxP.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 946
Get yourself an early Workmate - they are pretty rock solid. I used one for yrs before I got a bench.

BB - I still use an ancient Spong Hand mincer whose sucker works really well on our granite worktops.

Rod

Harbo":1vj7utje said:
BB - I still use an ancient Spong Hand mincer whose sucker works really well on our granite worktops.

Rod

I just bought a mincer with a proper clamp...

BugBear

The main thing to consider with a workbench (which isn't fixed to the floor or the wall) is weight and stability.

If it has a nice wide and sturdy base and weighs > 20kgs or so it'll feel leagues ahead of a workmate weighing < 10kgs.

I built one recently out of 2"x3" timbers for the base (doubled up) and some old roof beams for the top. Not sure on weight but with the shelf and drawers it's definitely not going to move around. I think it cost me about £20 to make.

If you're stuck with space just adjust the design to suit. As long as you still use beefy materials to keep the weight up it'll still achieve the desired result.

theartfulbodger":jv1nxocc said:
I like the look of that. Thanks, Dangermouse! :)

I tracked down
http://www.selteksolutions.co.uk/timber ... nches.html
and
http://www.seltekwarehouse.co.uk/acatal ... nches.html

For anyone (like me!) who might want to try and build one.

To the OP
My favourite easy bench is
http://dreambuildfly.com/2010/08/building-workbenches/

I have two in my garage, thinking about a third..

Hello,

Have none of these guys heard of triangulation?

IMHO these all need cross braces at the back, to resist racking during the forces encountered during planing!

Mike.

Hello,

If you are going to build a freestanding bench, this is about the simplest and strongest way of doing it for little money.

Sorry about the poor photo. A bench like this served me for many years. This is the back view, obviously.

Mike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 453
woodbrains":1gfflxql said:
Hello,

Have none of these guys heard of triangulation?

IMHO these all need cross braces at the back, to resist racking during the forces encountered during planing!

Mike.

The benches I made out of 2 by 4 with shelf and top made from old wardrobe panels and MDF are certainly strong enough for most jobs I can think of and seem totally rigid. If Chuck Norris were to visit and wanted to plane some hardwood then I'd think about cross bracing.

Latest posts

Back