Small Shops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich.h

Established Member
Reaction score
No doubt I am not alone in having to make do with a small space to work in, as such it has forced me to try and think creatively about storage and how best to use space. Just wondering what other folks do to resolve this problems and if they wish to offer up their own methods for small shops.

Few pictures of the current layout as I have just got around to making up a few small jigs etc that was causing me to loose valuble top space. Any criticisms more than welcome.

Attachments

• 2014-08-06 20.03.08.jpg
    2014-08-06 20.03.08.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 1,505
  • 2014-08-06 20.03.21.jpg
    2014-08-06 20.03.21.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 1,505
  • 2014-08-06 20.03.31.jpg
    2014-08-06 20.03.31.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 1,505
  • 2014-08-06 20.03.37.jpg
    2014-08-06 20.03.37.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 1,506
  • 2014-08-06 20.03.55.jpg
    2014-08-06 20.03.55.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 1,507
  • 2014-08-06 20.04.07.jpg
    2014-08-06 20.04.07.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 1,507
  • 2014-08-06 20.04.24.jpg
    2014-08-06 20.04.24.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 1,507
  • 2014-08-06 20.04.34.jpg
    2014-08-06 20.04.34.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 1,506
No criticisms from me, I'm trying to organise a small space myself.

I sometimes think I spend more time putting shelves up and moving stuff round than I spend woodworkering.

The things that made my space more useable were
Replacing an old 4 spot kitchen light with a double tube fluorescent
Using vertical space as much as possible, stacking/shelving things upwards to save floor space.
Collecting biscuit and sweet tins to store things - that's a favourite job :wink:

I've boarded up the 3' x 2' window in my shed to gain extra wall space. I have good florescent lighting and don't miss the natural light.

John

rich, I mean this in the nicest way possible; you place makes me grateful for my place, what I had previously considered a hovel. You work with that stonking great 1000 litre oil tank keeping you company? Aren't the fumes just a bit, well, tricky? How does the hose get in for refills? :shock:

Sam

PS Also in Norn Iron - have you encountered the Ebay embargo against posting anything to us? ](*,)

SammyQ":1c1n2otn said:
rich, I mean this in the nicest way possible; you place makes me grateful for my place, what I had previously considered a hovel. You work with that stonking great 1000 litre oil tank keeping you company? Aren't the fumes just a bit, well, tricky? How does the hose get in for refills? :shock:

Sam

PS Also in Norn Iron - have you encountered the Ebay embargo against posting anything to us? ](*,)

I'm in Fermanagh so its even more the back of beyond, I've not tried using ebay but find most things seem to either "Not available in NI" or it ends up with extra postal costs even though according to the PO it should just be the same postage. :roll: :roll:

I tend to try and avoid anything above a certain size due to the draconian postage to NI, the oil tank while annoying is no major problem as there is plenty of space for the hose to get in. At the moment I am waiting on some led downlights from the states so I can redo the lighting through it all to be clear and bright everywhere. Oddly enough I am getting the bulbs for less than %50 of UK prices which makes the generally inter UK postal fees even more ludicrous.

My main problem with this space is for large sheets, but both the tablesaw and mitre saw trolley arr on castors and both just a little less than the back gate width, this means for larger work I tend to roll things into eh back alley and work out there, helps too with dust. But dust and fumes are why I have left the end of the roof open (along with allowing sliding access for ladders etc). It does mean I have an area with more humidity than is ideal, but also means I don't suffocate when working.

"Oddly enough I am getting the bulbs for less than %50 of UK prices which makes the generally inter UK postal fees even more ludicrous." :D :D :D

Good on you. I've debated a few times buying Rockler bits'n'bobs rather than Axminster as the 'Murricanes seem more inventive and design-concious than over here. Posts here about customs and handling charges have then always kyboshed the idea :( .

Sam

SammyQ":37xqpbkr said:
"Oddly enough I am getting the bulbs for less than %50 of UK prices which makes the generally inter UK postal fees even more ludicrous." :D :D :D

Good on you. I've debated a few times buying Rockler bits'n'bobs rather than Axminster as the 'Murricanes seem more inventive and design-concious than over here. Posts here about customs and handling charges have then always kyboshed the idea :( .

Sam

Provided you keep your order value small enough you will not need to worry about custom charges. So if say you found yourself a nice hand saw that was priced at £50 in the US but you could not find it for less than £150 in the UK, then provided you can get yourself some free p&p you should not pay a penny in import charges.

Different good types have different thresholds for import fees but stick to small things or small quantities and you should be fine.

Back