small (bench top?) planer / thicknesser?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mqbernardo

Established Member
Reaction score
this little P/T at rutlands (http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+planer-thi ... 0mm+DK6724) got me thinking... i could find some uses for a small planer thicknesses - not every day feels like hand planing day to a guy with carpal tunnel syndrome... my needs are very modest, i won´t need to surface wood larger than 4 inch wide x 30 inch long .

any recommendations for any other branded cheap and small P/T or should i just bite on the dakota one?

thanks in advance,
Miguel.

i cant comment on this one in particular, but i have found it very difficult to obtain small capacity but high quality machines. You may have additional issues in Portugal with availability. The fence on that dakota looks flimsy though.

In the metal world, there are all sorts of clock and watch making lathes, mills, drills etc. but for wood not a lot.

I just bought this one a few weeks back and I'm very happy with it...
ae235.jpg

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb...ng - Tools-_-Shopping - Tools&gclid=CPKrv7n9k
Although branded differently it looks to be identical to the one in the original post but it's £50 cheaper. And yes, the fence is a bit flimsy, but a piece of planed 2x4 clamped on edge fixes that a treat if you're not wanting to use the full width.

Col.

Attachments

• ae235.jpg
    ae235.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 5,270
There are many, many badge engineered variants of this machine but just be aware that they are brush motored and VERY noisy.

thnaks guys. somehow that screwfix link is a dead end. can´t find any P/T machines on their site. strange...

I've been looking for a cheap planer thicknesser and had considered the Titan but I'd not considered the noise. All my other tools are brushless and I like my neighbours so it makes sense to try and keep the noise down. What are the cheapest but reasonable induction planer thicknessers.

The £150 screwfix titan 204mm planer thicknesser in action:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLn2V5O3PVo&feature=youtu.be

I realise it won't give you much of an idea what it'd be like on 8" wide boards but this is what I bought it for and for this sort of work it's plenty good enough.

PS. Not sure what the light coloured wood is bu the dark stuff is mahogany.

Col.

Personally I can't get my head round the problem with the noise of a motor in a machine,
It will be drowned out when the machine is in use.

powertools":yb74mw0t said:
Personally I can't get my head round the problem with the noise of a motor in a machine,
It doesn't seem work like that. The noise from my induction motored PT is far less than was produced by the brush motored one it replaced. When cutting wood or not.

My workshop is the converted garage and adjoins the house. My wife will confirm the big difference in noise between the machines. She used to hate me using the PT but now quite happy with the newer one.

As far as "There's no denying it's noisy but I seldom feel the need or desire to hold a conversation when operating a machine anyway." - it's not just the user who gets deafened by the thing it's also the rest of the household and neighbours.

Just noticed that Scott & Sergent are exibiting at the joinery and furniture manufacturing show 2014 at the NEC 5th to 8th October. They are offering the Record PT260 at £500 and it has a 5 year guarantee.

Free entrance with online registration

Alex

Alexam":1z7tm6sx said:
Just noticed that Scott & Sergent are exibiting at the joinery and furniture manufacturing show 2014 at the NEC 5th to 8th October. They are offering the Record PT260 at £500 and it has a 5 year guarantee.

Free entrance with online registration

Alex

Hello Alex...I found a link to an advert for the D&M Tool show, they were offering the Record Power PT260 including the wheel kit and the CX2600 for £500.00, the usual kit includes the CX2000 and costs £700.00.
I called yesterday and the waited for a call back to confirm the deal, no one did. I see this morning the link is now blank. http://www.thetoolshow.com/showdeals.php
It also had deals on a new Record TS200 table saw and a BS500 bandsaw. I received a mail shot last, the PT260 and CX2000 are now on offer for £600.00 at the show, but there was no mention of the table saw or bandsaw.

Hi Pete,

I tried to reach Scott & Seargent today, but closed on Saturday. So I sent an e-mail to check if the Record would be at the show to demonstrate and if it included delivery at £500, as it would if it were Record selling at the show.

I also spoke to R S Paskin at Kidderminster (where I had my Record BS400 from) and asked if they could match the price. They don't have another sale until November, so will have to see what they say. I can always wait, but will look in at NEC as it will be interesting to see other things.

I've just bought the scheppach version of the Titan. I was told (rightly or wrongly) that it's hard to get blades for the Titan!?

I did see it demoed and it is noisy. I would have paid £400 for the same size model with an induction motor but they just don't exist and the next models up are just too big.

I'll just have to try not to use it a 7am on a Sunday morning!

All of the rest of my workshop tools are induction so it will be a bit noisy!

powertools":1ze2o5cj said:

Yes I agree. If folks say brushless machines are less noisy then I'll have to take them at their word but all the machines in my workshop have conventional motors and the motors themselves don't give off much more than a humming sound.

Claymore":2b62yyoq said:
The Titan thicknessers have been reduced to £129 at Screwfix free delivery BUT it says in stock for delivery and also collection at Dumfries (my nearest store at 90 miles away) BUT can't order them and telephoned Screwfix and they confirmed they are out of stock! they why don't they update their sodding websites! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I thought i'd get one for cleaning up bits of scrap for my Intarsias and at that price its a bargain (no use for a more expensive one at this stage in my woodworking hobby but may invest in a better one later)
Is Screwfix the only retailer of Titan tools?
I believe titan are specific to screw fix. Though I do see the odd one on eBay.

Back