Slightly unorthodox test of Festool TS55 Rail saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually thought he was quite impressed with the Festool. I thought the melting plastic was a bit odd but his reasoning was that the motor will get hot so he wanted to see how the cover would cope. With the cover I thought he was questioning why a plastic with a lower melting temp was used rather than saying it was bad, I just got the impression he thought it would have been the same and couldn't understand why it wasn't but he seemed to feel there was a reason for it. Not my kind of thing really and I would prefer someone who was calmer in their approach.

Custard I agree about no being able to know if someone is good / qualified but I don't think that has anything to do with the Internet or youtube. It's always been like that. I buy a book but I don't know if the person is really able to teach me, unless I know more than them and can pick up on their mistakes in which case why buy the book?

custard":1ho98iij said:
It illustrates the problem with the YouTube world.

Is he knowledgeable and qualified, or does he just pretend he is?.

The TS55/75 saws are well proven in industry for over 10 years, his conclusion doesn't seem to match mine. Interesting none the less.

I think Peter Parfitt sets the bar for these sort of videos.

I am not qualified to make a full assessment of this guy's abilities, but he does appear to know what he is talking about from the engineering standpoint.
He more or less states that he doesn't know much about woodworking. So to me this 'review' is purely an engineering assessment of a power tool; and a pretty comprehensive one at that. Most of us woodworkers have little idea of the way the internals of our tools work. All we ask is that a tool does its job, and most of the Festool stuff I have does just that.

So to me this is just an interesting video.

Am I going to strip down my track saw? Nope, no more than I would strip down the tablessaw, I don't have room for. I'm just happy I can have the track saw as a 'stand-in'.
I haven't been disapointed with my other Festool stuff either, but then I am happy with most of the power tools I own. They all have their faults we either learn to live with, or buy something different.

As for the 'Wood Whisperer' ... :( I prefer to watch Steve Ramsey; at least he makes me laugh because he's a genuinely funny guy.
I promise not to laugh though, if he ever lops off a finger. 8)

And Eric...

I used to have a detachable lead on my old Stanley-Bridges drill. I just snipped the lead, and fitted one of those old-fashioned, 'take-apart' three pin plug/sockets to join it together again; with the plug section on the drill of course.

They were fitted on the same priciple as :

http://www.hecke.com/diverse-connectors ... 25334.html

I was going to extend this to my circular saw, but never got a 'round tuit'. :oops:

By now I could have had a number of them, and of course the 'plug leads' would have been interchangable. Come to think of it, we need only one, (and a spare) as generally we have only one tool plugged in at any one time.

John.

I have been following this thread with interest (what a good laugh) Dare I say if it was any other make like Bosch, Makita etc. the reaction would have been a lot different. Maybe something in the line of: "I told you so".

Did his video put me off? not at all I will be buying the TS55 in the near future. SWMBO is going to give me a gift voucher which I will use to this purpose. The only other Festool product that I want or rather have a need of is the Domino.

Benchwayze":1x6npui4 said:
And Eric...

I used to have a detachable lead on my old Stanley-Bridges drill. I just snipped the lead, and fitted one of those old-fashioned, 'take-apart' three pin plug/sockets to join it together again; with the plug section on the drill of course.

Yup, done that on the Flymo and on the last strimmer (which burned out :( ). That works fine, and saves a handy length of cable, suitable for loudspeakers, etc. On power tools though, the plug+socket catches on the workbench edge, or the stock, or the rail, or whatever clamp is in use, or something.

So I've tried it - no good for me. :cry:

E.

PS: if someone wants to give me a Domino, I promise to evaluate the plug and socket very thoroughly...

Eric The Viking":1waywte8 said:
PS: if someone wants to give me a Domino, I promise to evaluate the plug and socket very thoroughly...
I could give you a small black piece of plastic with some white spots on it :mrgreen:

Back