Sleeper wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello chaps
My wife wants me to build a sleeper wall in the garden only two sleepers high .. what would you say is the best way of fixing them together, threaded rod and nuts or long screws?

Thanks

I have in the past used rebar with the bottom sleeper drilled right through, The top sleeper then need only be drilled 3/4 the way through, before being slotted on the top so water cannot easily get down the hole.

We have a small sleeper wall, 3 sleepers high. I put rebar in the bottom sleeper and postcreted these into the ground. Then I fixed the three sleepers together using galvanised heavy duty flat strap and 120 mm screws on the hidden back and side. It's held fine for 18 months. I actually had to take it down yesterday, as we are making space for a shed.
I would have preferred to do what Niall suggests, but drilling the sleepers was a nightmare and burnt out my old drill doing the bottom sleeper.

Sleepers or sleepers? Strikes me that big old recycled ones will be difficult to drill, the mock sleepers from garden centres will be a lot easier and the first suggestion is the most elegant.

I’m probably the odd one out but long timber screws for me , I pilot drill through with a narrow drill and then drill a 15 mm hole about 1inch depth . Follow with your screw and the ones I use have a 8mm hex head so no problem with an impact driver. Then simply cut a 15mm plug a drop of waterproof glue . Once dry cut/plane or sand flat and your done ..

Back