Skill Teach/Share Scheme

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking recently - and yes it did hurt somewhat!

Wouldn't it be cool if we could organise (sorry for the upcoming american-ism) wood-buddies local to each other as a means of teaching/sharing techniques.

For example, I have very little experience in general, but can hand sharpen and tune a plane to a half-decent workable level, and would be more than happy to show someone how to do this.

On the other side of the coin, I would love to visit a local woodworker, and maybe learn how to cut joints or veneering or french polishing etc..

So, who else thinks that this might be a good idea (to organise localised skill sharing buddies) and who would be happy to share a particular technique or skill? OR even collaborate on projects and share tools - for example, I would be more than happy to help local people to joint and thickness stock .

BB - interesting idea, would stand a better chance of getting of the ground if members knew the whereabouts of others in the UK.....for example, where is 'Bob Fleming's Shed'? :wink: - Rob

I'd happily show anyone how to pick up speed on The Slope - but luckily for you lot I'm a bit far away from the bulk of the membership. :lol:

Sounds an excellent idea, as said tho' some of us live in anonymity. Some of us in obscurity. Perhaps some sort of Gazetteer of those wishing to participate would be useful?

Pete, on Exmoor

Love the idea.

Not sure how it would work best on the forum though? Would a 'Local Expert' have to place their name and location on a list somewhere? Or would the principle be that people would have to travel around to get the best advice?

Cheers

Gary

I was thinking of having a single sticky thread where people who wish to participate put their name up, along with their location and what skills/technique or project they either want help on or want to give help to, and then it's up to anyone to PM the local 'expert' and arrange a time/day.

Alf":s2jjv5df said:
I'd happily show anyone how to pick up speed on The Slope - but luckily for you lot I'm a bit far away from the bulk of the membership. :lol:

Hang on Alf

You do a very good job with that without seeing anyone :roll: :wink:

( Colin has left the building )

I reckon that's a good idea too.....though with no one close to me either, I would wouldn't I ?

Still, you never know.....

Chris,
(just off j33 M6)

I think it's an excellent idea and I for one would love some extra tutoring. That said I do not know what I could offer in return (I could always make the tea). If people were happy with folks like myself taking until we have built up enough experience to give in return, then I think it will work. As has been said locations can prove to be difficult but I do not mind travelling in order to gain knowledge, even to Cornwall.

Bob

I think it is a very good idea and would like to take part but at the moment I cant.
Hopefully I can take part soon but have a lot to do I my house at the moment and have been told that no one is coming around until then :roll:

Happy to help in a scheme like this, think it's a very good idea and would certainly help to enable forum members to get to know each other in their local patch - Rob

Colin C":3km0iqgx said:
have been told that no one is coming around until then :roll:

In that case make sure nobody comes round - SWMBO's should NEVER be challenged and you should NEVER go against what they tell you to do! :wink:

(Just wait till she's gone away for the weekend! :lol: )

Cheers

Gary

ByronBlack wrote
So, not too many takers then? Ohwell, I tried
Wasn't there something like this mentioned not to long ago in another post,about local get togethers. :?
I don't think that idea was too popular either.
Good idea BB,but i for one have no transport :(
Paul.J.

ByronBlack":1eteow9q said:
I was thinking recently - and yes it did hurt somewhat!

Wouldn't it be cool if we could organise (sorry for the upcoming american-ism) wood-buddies local to each other as a means of teaching/sharing techniques.

For example, I have very little experience in general, but can hand sharpen and tune a plane to a half-decent workable level, and would be more than happy to show someone how to do this.

On the other side of the coin, I would love to visit a local woodworker, and maybe learn how to cut joints or veneering or french polishing etc..

So, who else thinks that this might be a good idea (to organise localised skill sharing buddies) and who would be happy to share a particular technique or skill? OR even collaborate on projects and share tools - for example, I would be more than happy to help local people to joint and thickness stock .
Excellent idea, trouble is I don't have any skills yet.

Willing to learn though.

Martin

Gary S":3vwliqsq said:
In that case make sure nobody comes round - SWMBO's should NEVER be challenged and you should NEVER go against what they tell you to do! :wink:

(Just wait till she's gone away for the weekend! :lol: )

Cheers

Gary

Good idea but she has no plans to go away in the near future :roll: 8-[

Scrums":3qc8r5im said:
I reckon that's a good idea too.....though with no one close to me either, I would wouldn't I ?

And here's me only in Heysham! Just a spit from "Gawlgit" :D

.... shame all my tools are in France!! :roll: :?

Cheers
Scott

PS: Bet your water butt's full this morning if you got the rain we just had!

Back