Sir Paul

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Sefton

Wood Workers Workshop
UKW Supporter
UKW Sponsor
Reaction score
Threshing Barn, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcs WR8 0SN
Watched Paul McCartney headline Glastonbury last night, fantastic! Joined by Dave Grohl, Bruce Springsteen and a virtual John Lennon.

What a brilliant set and at the age of 80, watch it on catch up if you fancy a thoroughly enjoyable Sunday afternoon showing the best of British music.👏👏👏

Cheers

Peter

Waiting for the performance to update on iPlayer. The kids are there but we are greeting a bit old for the ‘life’ Glastonbury experience. We can hear it from home when the wind is in the right direction.

We went to see Rufus Wainwright last night in Bath so couldn’t watch McCartney live. Rufus is one of the few artist who is indistinguishable live vs recording.

Maybe if the youngsters hear some of the older stuff then they will realise just how bad the stuff they listen to really is, I saw twenty seconds of some Billy Irish on the news and what a role model, it tells you that you can make it big with no talent just by blagging it.

Maybe if the youngsters hear some of the older stuff then they will realise just how bad the stuff they listen to really is, I saw twenty seconds of some Billy Irish on the news and what a role model, it tells you that you can make it big with no talent just by blagging it.
Probably something that gets said by every generation … and probably will be said by those who like Billy Irish in decades to come!

To get to, and stay at the top, in the music business for over 60 years is remarkable - it can only be talent + the ability/luck to avoid failure.

To do a 2.5 hours live performance age 80 with energy evidences both good fortune in in the genetic lottery, and sound lifestyle choices (diet, exercise etc).

But to be honest I was a little disappointed by the performance - perhaps I had unrealistically high hopes based on his back catalogue and proven talent.

He lost his voice years ago. IIRC he opened the London Olympics. His voice was very weak then.

Billie Eilish (not sure if Spectric was deliberately mis-spelling her name) is a very talented young lass and her lyrics are excellent. She prefers to rely on her talent and keep her flesh covered unlike other less talented who think bare flesh is a valid alternative to talent. Actually, thinking about it :cool:

I think he was incredible especially for his age! As a musician myself I respect mccartney very highly, he's one of the best, and his voice is very strong for an 80 year old man, there is simply no other songwriter like him, he is a master of his craft, it was emotional when he sung golden slumbers.

I think it's a shame when these old singers get to the stage when what they really need is a very old and trusted friend to say "mate, sorry, but you can't hack it any more, you should stop embarrassing yourself", but nobody does.

With all his money you would have thought he would have got an avatar version like Abba.

No the presenter did say Billy Irish, but eilish reads as you would say Irish.

Just like Noel Gallagher?!🤣🤣🤣

Watched Paul McCartney headline Glastonbury last night, fantastic! Joined by Dave Grohl, Bruce Springsteen and a virtual John Lennon.

What a brilliant set and at the age of 80, watch it on catch up if you fancy a thoroughly enjoyable Sunday afternoon showing the best of British music.👏👏👏

Cheers

Peter
Stardate June 26 2022.
Paul and the Beatles pleased many generations.
And many people enjoyed his music in 2022.

I haven't seen his performance yet (too preoccupied watching youtube clip of the Ukrainian war), but I like Paul McCartney - I think he was the best Beatle.

I saw him live (with Wings) when he visited Auckland around 1994/95 (one of very few live concerts I've been to).

I'd just broken up with my first wife Judith, and sung my heart out during "Hey Jude".

Speaking of old entertainers past their use by date, my current wife and I went to see Leonard Cohen on his last tour out this way. As expected for an old guy, he lacked the energy of his youth and his voice was very gravelly. My wife was very disappointed (she's been a fan of his for decades) but I enjoyed it.

Gotta make allowances for old fellows - or that's what I tell my wife when I come in knackered after doing sweet FA.

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back