SIP 01488 help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernE1

Reaction score
Recently I asked for advice as to a sub £200 turners lathe suitable for a begineer (me).

I've bought a SIP 01488 within my budget with faceplates, chuck, gauges and a set of turning chisels.

I gather this machine has a poor reputation but I need to start somewhere.

One thing I'm thinking of changing is the live tailstock to one that will accept a small chuck ( from Axminster).

What type of wood is best for small bowl blanks please?
Given the limitations of the machine and my lack of knowledge/ experience.

Incidentally I work 6 days a week so find it difficult to fit in going to relevant clubs & demonstrations which ideally I would do to learn.

Thank you for looking,
Bernard

I would second the book recomendation, and try to a copy with the DVD. Keiths narative is a little droning and anoys my wife every time I play it, but the content is very sound.
I would also not bother with bowls yet. Get some scrap 2x2 from a builder site and practice spindle turning to get the feel of the use of the tools.
Enjoy the journey.

Thank you both,

Book ordered.
I know I'm starting from a poor baseline but appreciate your advice.

Yes the tool kit isn't the best quality/most accurate but it will get me started for now.

Bern

Thank you for the advice given.
SIP 01488 with one of their 4 jaw self centering chucks now on the bench.
13mm chuck withB16 - 2MT arbor for tailstock ordered from Axminster.
Selection of 4" Dia British bowl blanks on their way
Sharpening stone in the manual centering SIP chuck
Books on their way
My wet & dry Vac in place to help remove shavings
Cellulose sanding sealer and Canuba wax on their way too

This weekend I'm about ready to rumble?

Bernard

BernE1":37kkw6mf said:
.......13mm chuck withB16 - 2MT arbor for tailstock ordered from Axminster.
Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but I do not see you being able to use a 13mm Morse taper fitted chuck in your tailstock,
The tailstock on a SIP 01488 is very basic and fixed construction and provides simple support for light spindle work only I believe.

Back