Simple improvement for Clifton planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpenteire

Established Member
Reaction score
This "improvement" is so simple (and obvious) I'm not sure it's worth suggesting, but anyway here goes: I have a Clifton no. 4 1/2 which was my first quality plane buy a number of years ago. I don't often adjust the frog but when doing so I was always careful to ensure that the retaining pins were correctly orientated etc, but the lack of a reference point was an obvious omission by Clico (in my humble opinion anyway). When I was lucky enough to acquire a LN plane I noted the obvious stamp on the frog retaining pins which eliminate any possibility of error/ damage. I've since modified my Clifton by filing a reference mark on the pins (a la LN) to identify the location of the "dimples" on the shanks. As I said, so obvious, so simple....

Good tip - I usually try and turn the screw just a quarter turn. But a definite reference point is a bonus.
Cheers
Philly :D

Phil,

I think C is referring to the orientation of the hold down pins, so that he does not miss the dimples (in the sides of the pins) which the fixing screws locate in?

I have always meant to fix that pestilential two part cap iron/chipbreaker, at the joint with silicone. This would allow some flexibility, while preventing the possibility of dropping it on the floor.

David

David
Ahh.....got it. Shouldn't really be a problem if you only give the tensioning screws a quarter turn - they should still engage onthe pins.
Cheers
Philly :D

David C":3kmjdr2i said:
I have always meant to fix that pestilential two part cap iron/chipbreaker, at the joint with silicone. This would allow some flexibility, while preventing the possibility of dropping it on the floor.
:D I like my Record and Clico staysets, though wish the joint was maybe an inch further back from the edge, to make stropping the face a little easier with just the chipbreaker removed.

I can see that it's something I may give up on eventually, though since all of my bench planes have it, I don't get exposed to having to remove the cap iron to sharpen.

Cheers
Steve

dunbarhamlin":1r23jcrg said:
:D I like my Record and Clico staysets

So do I - I reckon they're the best cap irons available :D I can't understand why some people seem to have a problem with them - maybe they are just clumsy :? :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I was referring to the orientation of the retaining pins, as Mr C points out. I don't like the two part chip breaker, I don't think it "works" when you use waterstones as your sharpening system.

Agree - not suited for Mr C's stoning movements, which is a pity as they do avoid dishing the stone nicely (absolutely definitely use for chisels and when resharpening plane irons.) But since I don't use the ruler trick, being able to quickly touch up an edge without having to remove and then reset the cap iron I think outweighs this.

Just different approaches to making kitten mittens.

Cheers
Steve

I am so glad to hear that some people do like the two part cap iron!

Another issue I have with it is that it is difficult to set very, very close to the edge due to the slop in the joint. If not careful, cap iron edge goes over sharp edge and may blunt it.

Silicone will fix my problem, must get it done.

David

Another reason to not love the two piece chipbreaker on waterstones is the water. It produces rust between the two metal pieces. Yes, at the end of the sharpening I remove the screwed part in order to clean and oil it. :roll:

In all other instances a very valuable plane, my #5 1/2 Clifton.

Mine worked very well when flattened.

Marc, could we have a translation of your signature, sounds interesting?

David

David,

Don't forget that most uncured silicone mastics contain acetic acid. Watch out for rust!!

aldel

David C":1gikafj7 said:
Mine worked very well when flattened.

Marc, could we have a translation of your signature, sounds interesting?

David

I have this second hand Clifton which actually was a gift. The previous owner already had taken care of the flatness of the sole and of a well cambered blade. At that moment I thought the best planes come from good woodworker friends. :)

Lord Libbo beat me to the translation... I should have translated in English my favourite quotation but couldn't find a version expressing the same french melody. That's why I let it in French :wink:

Clifton 2 piece cap irons are worth persevering with, not becuase they 'make sharpening easier' (a somewhat dubious suggestion) but because they don't bend the blade. 1 piece cap irons distort the blade as you tighten the fixing screw, and the lever cap cannot straighten this out, so the middle of the blade does not touch the frog. The 2 piece cap iron can clamp the blade firmly to the frog (you won't get a feeler gauge under it). This helps prevent the blade from lifting* from the frog under planing pressure. I only wish they were made to a LN standard.

*as blade flexes under load it pivots on the heel of the bevel

ivan":2idm2jd0 said:
Clifton 2 piece cap irons are worth persevering with because they don't bend the blade. 1 piece cap irons distort the blade as you tighten the fixing screw, and the lever cap cannot straighten this out, so the middle of the blade does not touch the frog.

Many people who are critical of the Clifton and Record stay-set cap irons seem to miss this important point. It's one of the reasons why fitting one of these cap irons can significantly improve performance, even with relatively thin blades.

Paul

Paul Chapman":1gaaawgf said:
ivan":1gaaawgf said:
Clifton 2 piece cap irons are worth persevering with because they don't bend the blade. 1 piece cap irons distort the blade as you tighten the fixing screw, and the lever cap cannot straighten this out, so the middle of the blade does not touch the frog.

Many people who are critical of the Clifton and Record stay-set cap irons seem to miss this important point. It's one of the reasons why fitting one of these cap irons can significantly improve performance, even with relatively thin blades.

Paul

Not so sure; I think this (strong) benefit is so clear that it's taken for granted, and the discussion proceeds to the difficulties.

Surely if there weren't advantages, people wouldn't try to solve the difficulties?

BugBear

bugbear":2tuab5pv said:
I think this (strong) benefit is so clear that it's taken for granted

Not necessarily by those who have never used one and/or who don't realise how they work :wink:

Paul

Back