Simple Bookcase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Peacock

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a beginner woodworker (both flat stuff and turning) from Durban in South Africa. I've been hanging around here for a while now, but haven't gotten around to posting much.

For the last couple of months, I've been working on a bookcase for my daughter's bedroom. It's quite simple and just held together with biscuits. I've tried to add some pics ... I hope it works (but I doubt it will).

21032011268.jpg

21032011271.jpg

The piece is made from East African camphorwood, with some 3 mm hardboard for the back. The wood has a strong camphor smell and quite beautiful grain - there's even some "shimmer" in parts. I tried to achieve a "Greene and Greene" look. Originally, I wanted to have the shelves attached to the sides with wedged through-mortices (two per shelf on each end), but I couldn't pull it off well enough and ended up simplifying the design.

It's finished with four coats of boiled linseed oil, then two coats of polyurethane diluted with linseed oil, then a coat of paste wax.

Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• 21032011268.jpg
    21032011268.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 21032011271.jpg
    21032011271.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 247
That's a nice looking piece of furniture. I'd definitely be happy to have that in my living room. What are the little details on the top back panel?

Thanks. They're square pegs of African Blackwood. In Greene & Greene furniture, they'd be actual pegs inserted into the wood (usually to peg tenons) - but I couldn't achieve that easily using the tools I had available, so they're just applied to the surface. They were shaped by rotating them against a sanding disc at an angle (using a jig) - so that they are slightly pointed on top.

Quite a well balanced piece, nice timber and well finished with some good G&B detailing...but what exactly, did you do to the back? Purple doesn't seem to fit in very well, unless it's a trick of the light :? - Rob

Hi Steve - that's nice, bet your daughter loves it.

I love the wood. We were in your part of the world few a few weeks 3 years ago and I tried very hard to squeeze a large chunk into my luggage but just couldn't manage so gave it away locally.

We stayed down the coast at St Michaels Mount and went to St Lucia wetlands for a few days as well - had a great time, I'm envious.
Our friends are there at the minute and take great pleasure emailing me with weather updates :evil: (hammer)

Look forward to seeing more of your work

cheers

Bob

Hi Steve

That is a beautiful piece which does great justice to that exotic wood.

I am a bit of a wood fanatic..timber that is...and it never ceases to amaze me when I see the huge variety created by Mother Nature...across the world. Almost every week I find a new wood that takes my eye...and this week it is flame camphor wood!

I particularly love the flame in the far piece top part...

I don't think I have come across camphorwood in the "flesh". Is it hard? Does it work well?

A great welcome to the thread! Stay around and show us more...I love the pictures!

Jim

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Bob: We are a bit spoiled with the weather - if you like it warm (it's 33 degrees centigrade today). Thank goodness for airconditioners.

Jim: The "proper name" for the wood species is Ocotea usambarensis. You can type that into Wikipedia if you're feeling brave :D . Because it's native to east Africa, we can get it relatively cheaply - which is why I bought some in the first place (I didn't realise it was so attractive until I started working with it). It's not too hard and it works quite easily and gives no real trouble (no tearout, etc). I bought mine from a local dealer (http://www.countrywoods.co.za) - there are pictures on their website - it's listed simply as camphor wood. The smell is really quite overpowering when you plane it with a machine.

Rob: The purple back is a trick of the light. The backing is a piece of 3 mm hardboard. The brand name here is "Masonite". It's made of pressed & glued wood fibres that are steam treated (I think) for toughness. It's a "standard" product for backs in cheap commercial furniture and makes life much easier. I just put two coats of linseed oil on it - and it's a dark brown in real life.

Of course, now the wife wants a headboard and a bedside table and ...

Hi all,

Actually, now that I've been thinking about it, I'm confused.

I was sure I bought East African camphorwood (Ocotea usambarensis). But I see from the Country Woods website (where I bought the wood), they now seem to list the true camphorwood (Cinnamomum camphora). From the various online pictures, they look so similar that I can't actually tell which one I used to build the bookcase with.

Ooops. Now I'm lost.

Steve Peacock":17k4og7w said:
Rob: The purple back is a trick of the light. The backing is a piece of 3 mm hardboard. The brand name here is "Masonite". It's made of pressed & glued wood fibres that are steam treated (I think) for toughness. It's a "standard" product for backs in cheap commercial furniture and makes life much easier. I just put two coats of linseed oil on it - and it's a dark brown in real life.

...or oil -tempered hardboard as we know it in the UK, a little used product for many projects but it's something I use a lot. Tough as old boots and cheap as chips (or French fries in SA?) - Rob

Back