Silver Birch - save or chop up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred55

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody got a view on silver birch for wood turning - looks like I will be taking a large one down - is it fire wood or worth saving and drying out.

Its very soft but the burrs are nice.

You need lots of super glue or similar to seal the surface.

Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete - I like the one you have shown, its full of character. Looks like I'm cutting it down and keeping for later, hopefully its got some burrs and character.

It's good for working green - spoon, bowl carving etc. Maybe part turn some bowls before it's dried out?

Spalted Birch looks very nice. I believe you can introduce spalting into the timber if it's not already there?

Thanks for that lead KimG - I found it fascinating how the spalting is formed never new there were different colours, I'll probably get arrested now for climbing trees looking for fungi to rub on my wood pile.

Fascinating video Kim. wonder if they have started selling the fungal solutions yet?

I used to have the remains of a silver birch stump in our old garden before we moved. It had quite a bit of spalting in it. Never occurred to me to bag up a small piece of it...

Back