Side tracked

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
In pursuance of sorting out the back log I had today earmarked as the day for prepping a load of the wood that I have lying around the place. Sadly I found a root ball and was seduced by the potential of the wood. I subsequently found this hidden inside. Grain, colour and figuring is gorgeous...not often I say that about anything I do. It's only about 3" across the actual bowl in the centre but it is a real sweety. Oh well back to the 'proper work'

Pete

Guess by the tone of the post that you really enjoyed getting back to your turning roots Pete. Better luck than I've been having just lately, had a great deal of alternate projects over the last few weeks and nearly every time I've ventured into the wood rotating world things haven't gone quite according to plan. Think tomorrow might be a pick something up and see what comes out day to see if I have similarly satisfying results.

Must admit it was nice to do something I actually like Chas, though I am glad of the business being able to do something for me is a good stress reliever. I envy Mark S with his gallery work. Maybe one day.

pete

Great bowl Pete. :D :D :D

I think that is what makes turning so fascinating for me, to reveal the inner beauty of something that may look so nondescript on the surface.

Regards,

Mike C

Maurice D":jjikpsj4 said:
Pete for me that would be the proper work. A really interesting bowl and so small.

It would for me as well if it sold well but it doesn't. I've sold a few pieces like this but not so many as I'd like.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

pete

Hi Pete

I can appreciate this as for me it has a lot of Wabi-Sabi in it. But like you say they may not sell that well. Unfortunately our society has been so pre programmed by mass produce rubbish that unless it is how people expect things to look. Bit like apples having to be red and void of any brown spots, yet we all know the ones from the garden taste the best.

mark sanger":eaupuf7y said:
Hi Pete

I can appreciate this as for me it has a lot of Wabi-Sabi in it. But like you say they may not sell that well. Unfortunately our society has been so pre programmed by mass produce rubbish that unless it is how people expect things to look. Bit like apples having to be red and void of any brown spots, yet we all know the ones from the garden taste the best.

I have sold a few but usually to either Americans or people who have picked it up and felt the tactile appeal. Perhaps just as well in a way. If I had to make a load of these I'd be stuck trying to find appropriate wood as they are all dictated by the wood not me. Whilst I envy you your gallery outlets I am not sure that I have the discipline yet to produce that sort of quality all the time as needed. Maybe one day

Pete

Back