Shoulder plane ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateurrestorer

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the Record 311 shoulder plane on EBAY and realised that it is just a glorified bull nose plane with a extension bolted onto the front , now do you think it would be possible to create (I was going to use the word cobble ) an extension out of that brown stuff we all keep harping on about. I know Phil is pretty adept at making new tools and I wonder if he had any thoughts ,perhaps wood and metal would not be stable enough.I have a record 77a with a detachable nosepiece that I could use for the main body of the shoulder plane. Any comments would be quite welcome.

Should work fine, though I would make a prototype from MDF to test the concept and then use a good hardwood for the final version as MDF may well chip with even light use.

Take care, Mike

Er No ! not unless you mean a woodie and even then they take some making ,ask Philly.What I had in mind was just making the nose for shoulder plane and use a record bull nose for a donor for the rear end and the worky bits eg.blade adjustment etc.

I just purchased a record 077 and had thought of trying to find a 311. I'm curious to see what you find out. Once I get my 077, I'm going to take a better look at the removable nose piece and see how difficult it might be to fabricate a longer one. If parts were more available for the 311, I'd try to pick up a nose piece from a "parts" plane.

Does anyone know if the Clifton 3110 is an exact copy of the Record 311? Any chance their nose pieces are interchangeable?

ydb1md":3guatzht said:
Does anyone know if the Clifton 3110 is an exact copy of the Record 311? Any chance their nose pieces are interchangeable?

The noses weren't even interchangeable between instances of the Record #311; the nose piece was put on, and ground "as one" with the body.

BugBear

Ok ,so I managed to do it ,one wooden nose piece a la 311.It only took an hour ( I know ,it should have taken me weeks but I have always had an impatient streak about me ) Anyway beech was used because it is relatively stable and I had a lump of it in the workshop. I stole the shape fron a stanley 93 . Spent a while shooting the end nearest the plane.Then I used the screw ( after I had recut a coarse thread on it )as a guide for the screw hole.I drilled the hole on the drill press and it came close with just a bit of fettling.Counter sunk the toe to take the screw/bolt (one of those with a cross on the head ) and got to work on the locating pins. I used the 77's shims as a template ,drilled two small holes for the small bolts I cut for the locating pins ,tapped them into the nose piece and screwed it all together ,using the shims which gave me a tight mouth (on the plane , not me! ). Sorted out the final shaping using my new LV low angle block plane and sanded it , Done .Only one mistake as well. :oops:

Sorry about that ,not enough room . Sorry about the pictures I did them in a hurry ( story of my life).Anyway it was a good project and the plane works as well if not better than my stanley 93 .As I said the mouth is nice and small and lifts off nice shavings. I finished it with shellac (quick) and only made one mistake. I sanded too close to the screw hole on the top and I now have a nice feature to gaze at.Given my time again (and I will) I would look for something more exotic timber wise and spend more time tuning it. The donor plane as you can see would'nt win a beauty contest ,but then again neither would I. Cheers John

Ah, that's better - thanks, John. I was having a 'mare with download times last night, hence my impolite squeak. :oops: Very ingenious.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for all the positive comments. I am very pleased with the way it woks and would recommend similar projects to others.It would be nice to see a real master craftsman ( philly) have a go and see what they came up with. Exotic hardwoods ,fancy inlays, personalised grips whatever. Cheers again.

Latest posts

Back