Shoulda boughta Disston

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Got this for a fiver on ebay this week

003.jpg

There is no fancy blade etch, just the words 'S. Tyzack' and below '345 Old Street' in tiny letters right in the middle of the blade.

It's a big old thing. It has a 31 inch blade, 3 and a half ppi rip, attached to the handle by 3 domed nuts, with also domed split nuts on the other side.

The thing is, I would like to get an idea of it's date of manufacture, and if t'were a Disston I could even get the name of the bloke who swept the floor as it rolled off the production line, but aside from a general Tyzack genealogy, I can find little online to help with old Tyzacks etc.

So... anyone got an old book somewhere with which they might be able to give me an idea of age?

Cheers

Looking good! I have no info on Tyzaks but domed nuts, stamped blade sounds like mid 1800's. That is a big, aggressive rip. I'll trade you a couple of Disstons for it. :wink:

BTW. that is an abrupt angle at the heel. Is that typical of Tyzaks?

Henry Disston":2a4cd15p said:
BTW. that is an abrupt angle at the heel. Is that typical of Tyzaks?

I'm not sure if it is typical of Tyzacks, but there are a few early Disstons on the Disstonian Institute site which have a similar abrupt heel, so I had thought it was just typical of that sort of age of saw.

Thanks for the offer of a trade, by the way, but I'll pass; been after a heavy rip saw for ages!

Hi scouse...you might want a lookie here - [/http://www.tyzack.net/hackney.htm...reen: [quote]knowledge is everything[/quote]

Thanks for that, I've seen this site before, and as comprehensive as it is, it only allows a date within roughly between 1871, when the street was renumbered and 1905 when the company was renamed as Samuel Tyzack and Sons in 1905 following Samuels death in 1903.

I would guess the saw would fall at the earlier end of this period, it feels very old, but it's still not an accurate date.

What I could do with is a pictorial comparison with saws of a known age, I realise Tyzack probably didn't release models which would fit a type study, but a comparison with saws exhibiting similar features would be helpful.

Latest posts

Back