Should it be a Van or Car?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad Naylor":yyxj1lhg said:
I had this dilemma last year. I didn't want to lose the family car (a Vauxhall Zafira) but needed a van for work.

Solution - I bought a trailer off ebay.

It comfortably takes 8x4 boards, 3m lengths of timber, I can deliver a full kitchen or bedroom in it, and if I'm on a fitting job I load up all my tools and my old Elu flip-over saw and I've got a mobile workshop.

When I don't need it I just leave it on my driveway and whizz around in the car.

It is the best £1000 I've ever spent. I don't think I'll ever have a van again.

Cheers
Brad

That's exactly what I'm thinking about doing although I intent to replace my car with a pick up anyway to take advantage of tax breaks etc.

Cheers

Tim

syntec4":1jxnscub said:
I've had it 3 years, it's cost £19k in parts and servicing!

Whhhaaaaaaaaaaaattttttt?????? :? :shock: :shock: :shock:

That's unbelievable!

syntec4":1vdmx9up said:
DON'T get a peugeot. I've had it 3 years, it's cost £19k in parts and servicing! A total nightmare.

Despite more reliable manufacturing these days, I think there is still an element of luck in how reliable individual cars are. I had a Peugeot 205 (which I sold last year) for 18 years and apart from routine maintenance, I never had a problem with it. Your story proves that the Friday afternoon car is alive and kicking :cry: I hope your next vehicle is better.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Dave

I have an old Volvo estate car and I love it, I can fit pretty well most of what I want in it, it's like a mobile shed...!

As mentioned above though, your tools are at risk through being on display, so reading this post has made me think that a van with a tool safe would be a better option.

When I go out with SWMBO we use her little Clio which she keeps nice and clean :)

Best of both worlds

regards

Brian

All the sad stories I've heard over the years, and a few posted on here, make me think that the very first thing you need when you've bought you're van is some dam good security.

In London I often used to see 'on site' vans with steel bars across the back doors & a padlock. Looked pretty ugly but what the heck, if it saves all the agro of:-
a) Damage repair to vehicle :evil:
b) Time & money spent replacing tools :evil:
d) Time spent making insurance claims :evil:
e) Time spent reporting to Police & hypertension when they tell you to go away & claim it on the insurance :evil:

And, don't forget that your insurance premium will likely go up next year 'cos you had a claim :(

Back