Shooting board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having just seen and used Pete's long mitre jig I have to say it's spot on and adjustable in all three planes so the next project is to build one on my shoot - Rob

Pete,
As regards your original post - should it read "note {sic} the small vertical piece...." or is indeed that made from a different material?
Regards

Manso, sorry about the delay problems with PC. The vertical piece is made of the same material as the main runway, the plastic Tesco cutting board.

very nice :D

the other day I made the mistake of making a shootingboard made from some spare Oak Vaneered MDF at work

"ooo, that will look nice" i said to myself

my jet black hands disagreed :(

Jez":1qowt35t said:
very nice :D

the other day I made the mistake of making a shootingboard made from some spare Oak Vaneered MDF at work

oak + steel = black. I once wirewooled oak windowsills. oops.

BugBear

Pete - what are the rough dimensions of your board - I bought one from Tesco but it is only about 12" x 10" and seems much smaller than the one you used?

Rod :?

Rod - having seen and used Pete's shooter, I can confirm that the length of the runway is about 300mm - Rob

Rob - thanks for that, just seems a bit small ? - the ones I have made in the past are in the region of 20" to 24" - to get up some momentum! :)

Rod

Harbo, the actual measurment is 352mm, and the runway is held down with double sided tape, which has not moved and I have used it a lot.

Thanks Pete - I have just remembered - mine came from Sainburys and only measures 330mm!
I have got some very thin plastic cutting sheets that are 380mm long - I wonder if they will work?

Rod

Pete - I want to make a longer one as per the "improved mitre version" in Robert Wearing's book so even on the diagonal it is too short - I may have to join a couple of sections?

On my existing shooting board I have stuck, with spray adhesive, a strip of the thin nylon kitchen cutting sheet material on the running board.
Plane seems to glide along beautifully!

Rod

Pete

How do you mitre the opposite hand for moulded items do you have a pair or have I missed something that is glaringly obvious which is most likely.

Dennis

Just trying to get my head around this. Firstly. What is the purpose of the additional piece of cutting board? and what are the dimensions of it? Also how does that adjustment screw work on the mitre attachment? And how is it fitted? Threaded insert?

Thanks

WiZer wrote:
Just trying to get my head around this. Firstly. What is the purpose of the additional piece of cutting board? and what are the dimensions of it? Also how does that adjustment screw work on the mitre attachment? And how is it fitted? Threaded insert?
Vertical piece rubs against the sole of the plane, prevents wear on the shooter.
Runway on Pete's board is about 350mm long, vertical piece sticks up about 5mm
Adjustment screw provides fine adjustment of the mitre attachment so that any wear (over time) can be compensated for.
Female part of the adjuster screw is a tight push fit, the screwhead on male part that screws in/out is just under the surface when fully closed - Rob

Wizer - Newt's is a lovely design but it bit sophisticated if you are concerned about your first attempt and accuracy.
Make a simple one first - they are so easy and cheap and in the end disposable? Even the stop on them can be adjusted if screws are used?
The nylon running strip is also a luxury as all planes will stop cutting-in once the blade protrusion has cut in - the blades do not extend the full width on most planes so it will run/bear on the 3 to 5mm edge? The nylon strip will reduce friction though.

Rod

Harbo wrote:
The nylon running strip is also a luxury as all planes will stop cutting-in once the blade protrusion has cut in - the blades do not extend the full width on most planes so it will run/bear on the 3 to 5mm edge
Rod - agreed, it's a bit 'bells and whistle' but it's essential to prevent wear on the shooter if (and I was prone to when I started to use them) you tip the plane in use, then wear will take place quite rapidly on the edge of the board. This is less likely to happen with a dedicated shooting plane like the LN No9 with a bigger bearing surface. That little wear strip is designed to minimise poor or incorrect technique - Rob

I was fortunate enough to have a go on Pete's shooting board with the plastic runway and vertical piece and I must say that it worked very well. The plastic runway seems to offer virtually no resistance and it makes use of the shooting board super smooth.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Latest posts

Back