Shoe cabinet for Lurker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok Lurker you asked for it, here are some pics of what I have completed on the shoe cabinet:
1cuttingdowelspost.JPG

I have found dowels expensive so i make my own on a jig I found on the internet.
I am using some pine furniture board I was given hence the finish on the inside. Here I am marking out the positions for the holes which will house the dowels for the shoes:
2markingoutpost.JPG

Holes are next drilled to take the dowels. I shall have to get myself a set of roller stands!
3Drillingholespost.JPG

Using my trusty dado jig for cutting the rebates in the top and bottom panels to take the sides.
4cuttingrebatespost.JPG

Then it is ready for a dry run:
5dryfitpost.JPG

Finally as far as I managed to get today the glue up:
6Glueuppost.JPG

I shall post more pictures as and when I have completed more of the project but this week will be tight as I have had to change shifts for a week and it doesn't give me much time at the moment. Will keep you posted. :wink:

Mailee,

Never thought of that idea!
Was thinking more like the ones you often see in those mail order inserts with the Sundays.

Like your way though - easily adaptable for a given shape, certainly given me food for thought.
Have a lathe, but think that amount of Dowel would do my head in.

Even Imeda would find trouble filling that rack. Your SWMBO obviously suffers from the same affliction as mine.

Look forward to more later

Well Lurker, I AM married to Imelda Marcos, you should see her shoe collection! I also have a lathe but decided like you that all those dowels would do my head in too. That is why I built the dowel making jig and what a jig it is, each of those dowels took me literally seconds to produce on it and I jest not. All that was required after feeding them through the jig was a little hand sanding. In our home we do not have an entrance hall as such but a sort of porch and this type of unit will fit it perfectly. We do have a lot of shoes in there with my wife, boy and myself so it will be full in no time. :wink:

I do like this idea!

We're in need of a new coat and hat rack for our hallway which I was going to make with the scrollsaw. Seeing this has got me wondering how I can incorporate a shoe rack too.

Gill

Hi Smudger, I am very impressed with the dowel making jig as you can probably tell. I thought it might make it easier to make them rather than using the lathe as my lathe work isn't that good and it is hard to make sure the dowels are of a uniform diameter. With this jig I can push the stock through as quickly as drilling a hole and the results are spot on every time. All that is needed afterwards is a light hand sanding and cut off the waste which is about 1". Not bad considering how much I have spent in the past on shop purchased dowels!

Hi Gill, Just a thought but couldn't you make something similar to this with a small set of drawers alongside and the hat and coat rack over this? Or alternatively make a small shoe rack below the hat and coat rack all in one unit. Just my ideas on it FWIW. :wink:

Oh and this is who its all for, Imelda herself:

Wearing one of the many pairs of shoes she owns. Still she can't complain about how many tools I have can she? :lol:

mailee":2kq1cjlm said:
Hi Gill, Just a thought but couldn't you make something similar to this with a small set of drawers alongside and the hat and coat rack over this? Or alternatively make a small shoe rack below the hat and coat rack all in one unit. Just my ideas on it FWIW. :wink:
Good thinking, Batman! We need a small drawer for the house keys - I hadn't realised that until you mentioned it. Space is limited though, so whatever I come up with will have to be very compact.

Gill

Back