Shelving unit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no exotic materials unfortunately!

The Horizontal shelves are 2mm mdf with a 15mm solid tulip lipping to prevent bending, the shelves were made approx 550mm wide so bending under weight will not be a problem. I always air on the side of caution.

Finish wise, it is a white PU spray finish.

WIPS ???

Please tell me that 2 mm is typo!!! Regardless how small is a span that will not hold much without sagging (((
Looking good though and great use of otherwise " dead" space

Typo indeed, it is 22mm MDF solid lipped, I have been back and the shelves are fine. Due to the fact they are only 180mm deep they are fine.
Also adding the solid lipping to the front edge resolves the issue of sag.

Cheers

Martin

And are there a couple of doors at the top?

What's your chosen method of fixings?

just for future reference, where is the best place to get PU paint, all the sources I find seem to be floor paint or boat hull paint at a second mortgage per 5l

My sprayer got mine, but I happen to know Morrels are good quality and value, they have branches throughout the UK.

It depends what colour your needing, a general rule of thumb, the darker you go theore expensive!

Yes doors on top, I used a combination of biscuits, rebates and screws. It was made in 4 parts and final assembly done in position.

martinhowlett":1x1nfqz1 said:
My sprayer got mine, but I happen to know Morrels are good quality and value, they have branches throughout the UK.

It depends what colour your needing, a general rule of thumb, the darker you go theore expensive!

Thanks for that, they have a branch in Glasgow only about 8 miles away, very handy :)

Sorry to ask silly questions, but 22mm mdf, with 15mm lipping... The lipping is wider than the MDF in the picture.

I'm a bit of a beginner and I'm preparing for a similar project at the moment and I'd love to know more about how this was done. How is the lipping applied?

Is this stood on a plinth? Or adjustable feet? I see you built it in place so did that make a plinth unnecessary?

Tombool":n19smzci said:
Sorry to ask silly questions, but 22mm mdf, with 15mm lipping... The lipping is wider than the MDF in the picture.
The silly question is the one you don't ask ;) Lipping above is almost certainly 22x15mm - same thickness as the 22mm shelves, just adds 15mm to the depth.

I'm a bit of a beginner and I'm preparing for a similar project at the moment and I'd love to know more about how this was done. How is the lipping applied?
Usually just glued and clamped.

HTH Pete

Back