Shelving around a room

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramp34

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a customer who wants shelving around her room , just above door height. Has anyone on here done this before. It is going to be painted white so was going to use mdf, and am going to put brackets up to support the shelving, but not sure how many to use. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

Would depend on what your customer plans to use the shelves for.

books and the likes mostly, she wants some in the kitchen too so guessing those would be more for pots and pans and the like

25mm or laminated mdf would do it, maybe an edge front and back with lots of supports, any sag will look terrible, though it doesn't sound too classy anyway...

Aidan

The amount of supports would depend on the length of the shelves. Maybe tempted to put a lipping on the front to aid the risk of sagging if your not putting to many supports up.

I've done them in both MDF and softwood. Don't have a pic of the MDF ones but could take some on Monday if you need, these are about 10-12" wide and done in 22mm MR, they have a batten all along the back, brackets at intervals and also rest on the top of the architraves.

The softwood ones were in a kitchen and done with 6x1 PAR again batten & brackets as can be seen, here the wider batten double up as a pipe boxing so its a bit deeper than the mdf ones there is also a small groove along the front top edge so plates etc won't slide off.

Jason

Thanks for that, if you could get pics that would be handy, but dont worry if its too much hassle. Did you make the kitchen units aswell?

I did this in my daughter's bedroom a few years back - worked very well. All MR MDF, batten on the wall that the shelves bear against and dividers along the length of the shelving that also act as brackets - all painted in bubblegum pink, so nothing subtle ;)

Can post a few snaps tomorrow if you like, but very straightforward in terms of construction; hard to go wrong really...

Pete

ramp34":30z2zem2 said:
whta do you use to join it < are you a domino man aswell, im thinking of getting one.

I'm a biscuit man for carcases, now thats saved you a few quid :lol:

The doors are put together with loose tongues from the same material as the panels

PICT0043.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

J

PS will get the pics today as I'm working in the same house at the moment

Back