Shed Tour + Past Projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thought it was about time I added some shed pics. Also thought I would add some pics of past projects I have done around the house.

So first the Shed.... Its a 7ft x 7ft shed, so not very big.

This shot shows the view into the door. Saws, squares and rulers hung up on the back wall. You will also spot the bench hook and shooting board hanging from the workmate. Bench down one side. You will also spot a small work surface at the back left above the extractor. This can be folded up and out of the way. Having said that it normally stays down and acts as a sharpening bench. I'm a waterstone man, the Charlesworth method.

shed1.jpg

More detail of the left side..

shed2.jpg

Record BS250 bandsaw with custom fence and cross cutting sled. Thanks to Jarviser for the guidence.

shed3.jpg

And finally the bench and the mess, sorry, storage undernear. Also spot the Veritas No6 which does a wonderfull job of flattening stock. The stanley No5 was my first plane.... but after some unsuccessfull sole flattening (banana!) now gets used as a scrub with a clifton blade. Tried to flatten the sole on the work mate :? on a glass shelf from B&Q (which wasn't flat), also using a 30cm ruler as a straight edge :?. It was flat ish, but then after about 4 weeks went to a lovely banana shape. Veritas isn't completely flat, but there is no way I am going to screw that up, so left it alone.... seems to do the job anyway!

shed4.jpg

Now for a couple of project pics. First is some shelves in the living room. Made these by glueing sheets of MDF together. They connect to the wall by sliding onto battens screwed into the wall. The shelf for the TV is curved so when we have guests the TV can be pulled out abit so you can see it from the chairs infront of the window.

FrontRoom.jpg

And the bathroom. Did all this myself (with tiling help from the wife). Floor is heated. Used Iroko to do all the wood. Shelf above the sink is split into 3 sections, the middle one is fixed and the others lift up to give some hidden storage.

The bath panel was also a big job. Did this before the days of the bandsaw. It was made from a single 4x2 plank which was cut into veneers and book matched onto MDF. Making veneers with no bandsaw was a tricky one. Used my hand held circular saw :eek:, which only has a 2inch depth of cut. So had to cut from both sides to make the veneers... lots of planing required to bring them all flat. Looked good in the end though.

Bathroom.jpg

So there you go. You may also have seen the ring box in my aviator, that was my first proper joint making project. Now just starting my competition entry, Oak Console table, which you can see a picture of in the intermediate submissions page.

Cheers

Darren

Darren - thanks for the tour, my first shop was 7x5' similar to yours, I would be inclined to fit a bit of insulation and vapour barrier to the inside surfaces of the walls. Scewfix do some decent vap barrier and you could use some 25mm polystyrene sheeting to go between the battens with some hardboard over the top to make a smooth surface. This would make winter working a bit more pleasant (and I talk from experience) 'specially with a bit of heat in the 'shop. Can see the jap saws, what about hand tools, chisels etc? - Rob

Hi Woodbloke,

I am considering insulating the shed, to help with the heat issue, both in the summer (too hot) and winter (too cold). Also I am hoping it will help reduce some of the noise the neighbours have to endure!

As for the vapour barrier is this what you mean, our are we talking about breather membranes... also does this go on first, then the insulation, then the hardboard, I have read so many posts on this I get confused.

Now for the interesting bit... hand tools :D

Planes
Veritas No6 Fore
Veritas No4 1/2 Smoother
Stanley No5 Jack setup as a scrub (clifton blade and cap iron)
Stanley low angle block plane (again, messed up the sole :evil:, but will be replacing it with Veritas one soon :) )
Stanley No 92 Shoulder Plane

Chisels
Set of Footprint Red Handled Chisels [1/4 1/2 3/4 1] [my main set]
Set of Silverline jobbing chisels [bang with a hammer type things... soft as cheese these things so tend not to use them... they were a gift]
Set of three pigstickers 6mm, 7mm and 12mm, second hand, not had chance to use them yet... will use on the console table

Power Tools
Matebo Jigsaw
Matebo hand held circular Saw 190mm
Bosch Cordless Drill
Dewalt Corded drill, with axminster drill press
Currently borrowing my dads B&Q brand hand power plane

Marking Up
6" engineers square (axminster)
6" Marples square
2x Dovetail 'squares' 1:6 and 1:8
Veritas Wheel marking gauge
Axminster Dial veneer calipers
Starrat Straight edge

Sharpening
Ice Bear Sharpening kit (800 grit and 6000 grit water stones)
Coarse 240 grit stone
Sheet of glass with 80grit paper stuck to it for grinding
Sheet of Toughened glass.... remind me not to buy toughened glass! Sounded like a good idea at the time but its not flat! :evil:
Slab of mable (kitchen chopping board), nice and flat for flattening the water stones.
Eclipse Jig
15cm ruler for ruler trick

Saws
Japanese Dozuki
Japanese Ikedame
Japanese Hassunme Cross Cut
Japanese Hassunme Rip Cut
Stanley Hard point for the thick stuff
Coping Saw
Fretsaw

Give or take, thats about it :D.

Cheers

Darren

Darren,
I'm impressed with the living room, seems very effective.
Hope you don't mind if I pinch some of your ideas.

Chris.

mrbingley":2rhzbd79 said:
Darren,
I'm impressed with the living room, seems very effective.
Hope you don't mind if I pinch some of your ideas.

Chris.

Feel free! I'm always on here finding new ideas!

Darren

Nice work Darren, do like a tidy workshop.
All those lovely tools and it was the old fashioned radio that gave me a warm feeling :)

Dom

DarenW wrote:
As for the vapour barrier is this what you mean, our are we talking about breather membranes... also does this go on first, then the insulation, then the hardboard, I have read so many posts on this I get confused.
Darren - yup, that's the stuff and you stick it all up in the order as you've indicated, works a treat.......nice and toasty in the winter :D - Rob

DomValente Wrote:
All those lovely tools and it was the old fashioned radio that gave me a warm feeling

You'll probably be gutted to here its tuned into Radio 1 :shock:

As for the tidy shop,with such a small space I need to be!

WoodBloke wrote:
Darren - yup, that's the stuff and you stick it all up in the order as you've indicated

Thank god its not the breather membrane stuff... that put me off coz of the price. Will definitately look into this now!

Cheers for all the positive comments and advise

Darren

Latest posts

Back