Shed build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha thanks mate. She's hard to please, so if she's happy I'm happy :)

Edit : btw those morrisons shopping bags make great tool bags haha. I've had mine filled to the brim with drills, clamps, club hammers, knives, tape measures, set squares and all sorts of other tools and there's no sign of it ripping...very strong :mrgreen:

I had a chat with a couple of guys who were redoing a flat felt roof, and asked them about underlays for torch on. They said that ordinary roofing felt ie the stuff for under tiles is ideal as a base for torch on but dont nail the seams only the ends of the runs of felt and run the base layer at 90 degrees to the torch on top layer. The reason for the not nailed down underlayer is to allow it to expand and contract with temperature, if it was nailed down it couldnt move and it would fail and leak at the nail positions. Mind you they also said that if it just a shed roof ie quite small area you can just torch straight on to the timber. Hope this helps or has it just confused you more?

Proper felt roofs are done with three layers- base, intermediate and top. Current spec is class 5B or 5U for the first 2 layers and class 5E for the top. You can use 5B for the top layer but you then have to coat it with something. There are also class 3 felts but they are not as durable. I asked the roofer i subby too sometimes as i am about to re-do my storage shed.

If you torch straight onto the wood, it will split at the joins. You can get away with two good layers on a shed if the top layer is of a good quality. Think he said something about 2mm and 4mm felts but i've forgotten exactly what he said, because at this point, i decided i would get him to do it for me and the conversation ended. He was going to loan me his torch but i decided it wasn't worth the hassle to save a few bob with all the delicate stuff in the shed. Apart from that, he has public liability to use a torch and i don't.

Cheers for the replies guys :)

Well this shed is still not finished (hammer)

Do any of you guys know if I can use a felt adhesive to stick down a 'torch on felt' on top of an underfelt? Or does torch on felt have to be torched on?

Daft Question, but is it not worth having a bash at using EDPM for the roof. I used some for a hutch I made, damn sight easier than faffing about with felt.
Unless there is underlying pyromania lurking about with using the torch.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I already have the torch on felt as I bought it months ago. The roof also currently has an underlayer felt nailed to it.

As I'm not getting anywhere fast with the torch down route, I was going to buy some of that blackjack felt adhesive and stick the capsheet down on top of the underwent instead.

Does anybody think this will still work OK?

Ok so I've ordered 4 new rolls of felt (not torch on felt), some clout nails and a 5L tin of blackjack felt adhesive. The felt is just the 2 for £30 iko fine mineral stuff that Wickes are selling.

I'm off work for two weeks in a weeks time and plan on eventually getting this roof finished.

Can any of you guys advise me on whether I can use nails on the capsheet as well as the adhesive? I was planning on using the adhesive over the entire roof and then add rows of nails once the capsheet is down..

Could really do with some advise on this if any of you guys can help :)

You usually just nail along the joins of the capsheet where the two overlap and down the eaves. I also put roofing laths on mine every couple of foot, which keeps the felt well attached in high winds. It also helps if you do it on a warm day and roll it out to soften up and expand a bit before you attach it.

Back