Shavings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
Probably covered before, but what do you folks do with your shavings?

Been P/Ting some boards these last two days and finished up with a large mound of shavings.
In the past I have composted them or used them as a mulch - but these are from some Redwood and bright pink!

Rod

Some (not all) go into the composter. At the moment they are all practicing laying on the floor 'cos some so-and-so nicked my dustpan and brush.

I've tried so many ways to get rid of mine the green way but no one will take them .

My local waste disposal contractors (Donarbon) rent me an 1100 litre wheelie bin which they empty when I call them to say its full (reminder to self - must call them on Monday). I put sawdust, offcuts and cardboard in, and quite often some garden waste too. It is classed as biowaste and goes to make compost.

It costs £5.10 a month rental and £7.13 per empty.

Hi, if you have got a riding stable or know anybody with horses they sometimes bed them down on shavings.

Tim.

if you can make it into better sawdust, your local garage might be happy to use it as a better and more effective way of moping up oil spills :lol:

paul :wink:

Hi, if you have got a riding stable or know anybody with horses they sometimes bed them down on shavings.

I make sure that all shavings are good and each bag is pure shavings of one timber but it seems they would rather pay than get them for free .

If the shavings have any sawdust in them they are useless for animals. Also don't put them directly into the ground as they leach the nitrogen from the soil, likewise don't put too many in the compost at one time.

I use mine as pathways between beds in the garden as they take ages to rot down and really inhibit weeds. Spread them out and water well and they stay put.

Pete

Back