Shavings/dust burners advice required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsyMan

Established Member
Reaction score
I did digress Blisters "I found it" post with a question which I really should have simply asked here.

I am looking at putting in a greenheart style burner (http://goo.gl/gou3Y) to my shed/workshop, has anyone got one? are they as good as the bumph says they are? at £167 for the stove and possibly double for the flue system I am thinking I can make a simple wood burner from a gas bottle for a lot less but it will probably fail on dust and shavings (which I have an abundance of) as I have made a few before for log burning. Any advice before the summer in the UK finishes and the evil grips of winter shedism start to throttle us?

As always, thanks in advance

I can't find anything on that site to illustrate just what makes it a sawdust burner.
I'm planning to make a gas bottle stove for my next shed to be built next year and I'm sure that after a fire has been normally laid, saw dust could be added with care ... as well as shavings. Occasionally our wood burner in the house gets such fuel without any complaint.

I'm really looking forward to the gas bottle build.

I think after a little research and talking to wisened shedists, there may well be a simple air inlet from top to bottom on those with a feed to the heart of the fire, thus enabling them to burn denser waste, not entirely sure. I am now thinking of asking my skilled younger brother to weld me up a gas bottle burner with a scaffold tube inlet feeding the middle and making sure I control the flue. I have looked at the pure sawdust ones but prefer the sound of a multifuel type thing. The plot thickens and I am sure the smoke will too as I try these things out :D

I've got a burner made from two gass bottles and it burns shavings just fine, it's all about how you load it. Open the door and chuck in and it just smokes it's head off. It's not that happy with sawdust but if you mix the sawdust with shavings then it's fine.

Great fun making one as well, stihl saw and gas bottles :shock: i was bricking my self

Andyoaks - any chance you could post a couple of pictures of your burner arrangement - i'd be interested in this as i seem to make a lot of shavings and not much else! I've got plenty of room to store up sacks of shavings and so a burner may be an economical way of making some heat in the workshop.

Thanks

last time I made one I used a hand drill to drill a hole in the brass bit AND at the top of the metal (after emptying it of course :D ), then filled it with water through one of the holes to push out any leftover gas, then its pretty safe to chop up and mod.

I have a similar one except it hasn't got the wire mesh cage and has 2 air inlets. You can burn sawdist and offfuts and you have to be careful they don't get too hot or the metal can get redhot and buckle.

Back